Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exporting to specified folder

When I try to export a website via the option in the File menu, I get a standard-looking "Save As" screen. I've created a folder for the website I'm working on, and since I have multiple sites to manage, this is how I want handle it. I navigate to the folder, make sure I'm saving "index.htm" ... but nothing happens when I push the Export button.

Using the Export and Preview button on the toolbar causes the website to be exported to Documents & Settings/KJA/Local Settings, blah, blah, blah. How can I force it to save where I choose?

I've been hand-coding since about 1996, and have tried many editors to simplify that process ... some good, some clunky. Have played a bit with Dreamweaver, didn't really like it. But have been using Xara Xtreme and other Xara products for a long time, and love 'em. Five minutes on the XWD demo and I bought it, love it, and hope it evolves in two areas ... some way to handle dynamic page length (I know about absolute positioning, and have some work-arounds, probably PDF, for lengthy content, and in making it possible to retain FTP settings and to publish specified pages.

Bravo! Xara means Xcellent!
    IP

Default Re: Exporting to specified folder

You should be able to navigate to whatever folder you want.
    The new folder created will match your .web name
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	save.png 
Views:	328 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	57553  
    IP

Thanks, but I'm not seeing the same graphic you sent, which looks like a photo export (name, date taken, tags, size, and rating.). I get the "Save In" drop list, but it's just part of the normal Windows "Save As" dialog box. I'm using XP. I choose my folder, put in the desired filename ... index.htm. Specify it's an HTM or HTML in file type box. Press the Export button, and nothing happens. I have tried bring up Export Website from the file menu, via the button in top toolbar, and with Ctrl-Shift-E. Same thing every time ... still baffled. I've never had anything refuse a "Save As" with any other program, including Xara Xtreme.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 15 March 2009 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg
    IP

Hi Ken,

Aridzone is running Windows Vista which unfortunately always forces the use of those headings on any folder with graphics. (Some bonehead at Microsoft thinks everyone must use photographic headers with any type of graphic ).

If you are running XP your headings will appear as you are accustomed to seeing.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Slightly OT - but may help.

I agree with Bill - my blood pressure rose each time this Auto discovery occurred. I want all folder to display the same way!!.
    Fortunately almost every sane person on the planet feels the same way about Vistas "Automatic Folder Type Discovery".
    So there is a fix.
    IP

Thanks, Soquili ...

But the problem isn't that I'm not seeing what Aridzone sent me. I do understand the difference in appearance of between his Vista and my XP.

I'm seeing what I would expect when I want to export a website ... the standard Windows XP "Save As" dialog window. But when I specify my desired folder and filename, pressing the Export button does nothing. No reaction, nothing exported. I've tried it bringing up the dialog via Ctrl-Shift-E, via the File menu, and via the button on top toolbar. It comes up as expected, but won't do anything. I have been unable to save anywhere except the default path in Documents & Settings, which happens automatically when I click the Export & Preview button.

I want to have a folder for each of my many web projects, so this is potentially a stumbling block with XWD. Love its functionality ... and hope FTP is also enhanced someday to permit specifying which folders and files to update when minor changes have been made to one or two pages of a site.

I appreciate your comment about "some bonehead at Microsoft." There'll be no Vista for this ol' dude.
    IP

Not using McAfee Internet Security Suite by any chance are you?
    I seem to recall a couple of people having similar export difficulties due to McAfee Internet Security Suite.
    IP

Thanks, Sledger ...

Not using McAfee, but am using Norton Internet Security, and have for years. I've never before had a problem with "Save As" from any program. When Norton does take some sort of action, it pops up its own dialog box, but it's never happened on a "Save" or "Save As."

I'm really scratching my head over this one ... the automatic Preview & Export via toolbar button works, but no dialog box pops up to ask what I want to call the file, or where I want to save it ... just throws it into a default folder about five levels deep in Documents and Settings. Any manual attempt to ask it to "Export Website" results in the same dead end when I press the Export button within the dialog box after specifying folder, filename, and type (HTM/HTML).
    IP

Solved this problem ... export will not work into an empty folder. I discovered that if I created a new folder for a web project, I needed to copy an existing index page (or create a dummy one) in that folder. Once the export routine sees a file there, it'll allow you to overwrite it. If you're doing as I did, and naming it index.htm, you want to be VERY sure you're writing to the proper folder! Thanks to all who responded to my original post.

Ken
    IP

Interesting, this shouldn't be right of course. I'll make certain to bring it to the attention of the developer.
    Thanks..
    IP