Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memory Usage

Default Re: Memory Usage

Steve,

When publishing you'll get asked to store the file locally.
    But if you open the project later on and you change things on your page,the newly used media get's added to the project export folder,It doesn't delete unused files.
    In a way this makes sense but if you forget to delete the unused files from the export folder all the files get uploaded again.
    Hence the filesize

Maybe an alert for the storing in local folder at every publish,now it only shows once.

Hans
    IP

Hans I always export before I publish, so I don't see that message.
    I haven't come across the problem so far, but then I haven't had a work flow similar to the one you have described.
    Thanks
    IP

Export before publishing is necessary for you to set the file name of the first page, and the files folder (which name is based on the first page file name).
    When you do preview of the design that had not exported yet, WD exports it to the temporary location with a random temporary file name. You wouldn't wnat this to be published. So you have to export it at least once, then in export dialog you enter the filename of the main page, and all following preview exports and pre publishing export are made ro that location with correct names and paths.
    John.
    IP

I tested some things and you're right about embedded pictures.
    But when you use the placeholder it doesn't.

new>add object>placeholder>change contents to image or swf
    >export or publish.
    close
    Open again>change the content of the placeholder to another pic or swf
    export or publish
    You want to use the same folder for the project,so if asked
    you probably choose the same folder as the project folder
    This is most likely as you don't want to create xx folders to work on one project.
    Now take a look at the export folder(say;index_html_files)
    You'll see all previous used flashfiles and or pics in the folder.
    When you publish all files get uploaded.
    Now why would one use the placeholder for pics.

1-the convenience of the place holder that content can be changed in the layout but the object remains the same size.
    2-have the link and or text altered through cms sytem.

Hans
    IP

I do not like EXIF being stripped - this must be overcome by Xara (please..)
    Sort of OT, but...the JPEG we export is not the JPEG you embed - it's resized / resampled to the required resolution / angle etc. So some fields in the EXIF would have to be changed for sure as they'd be completely wrong. If you adjust a photo enhance values, then all the exposure values would also be meaningless / misleading also.

So what value is it to have EXIF in published JPEGs? Or what EXIF fields do you think should be preserved, and why?

Using placeholders for JPEGs is one way to preserve the EXIF if you really want this.

So right now I'm not convinced this is a valuable feature. I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise though.
    IP