Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Multi-Level NavBar

Shifting the various button-states from layer to layer was a bit awkward, I think. If you like, I can explain.

While the buttons are stretchable, entering varied length text on them throws out all horizontal positioning (with respect to adjacent buttons). If, for example, I change the text on the second button from 'Group B' to 'Company F' then the button will expand horizontally about its center. That's cool ... for a single button. But, when the button is part of a navbar, then the adjacent buttons are overlapped. Can I make them respect each other's increasing/decreasing sizes by employing some sort attibute similar to 'repel text under'?
    IP

I've looked at all of the themes that come with xWD, and I don't see any that offer an example of how a set of expandable buttons might be used to create a dynamic horizontal navbar -- one whose button position remains proper (as text length changes) with respect to its adjacent buttons.
    [home] [about us] [software] [miscellaneous] [faq] [help]
    changing [home] to [startup] should lengthen the first button, while bumping all of the others to the right (assuming the navbar is left justified).

Is this possible?
    IP

Hi Curtis,

I don't know of a way for stretchy buttons to dynamically realign themselves when soft grouped into a navbar.

Manually positioning them is the only way I know.
    Last edited by Soquili; 20 March 2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I guess that was never an option of WebStyle. I've looked, but can't find.

I'll simply have to use fixed-length buttons to set-up my template (that I'll be using for a number of personal websites).

Thanks for your input.
    IP

I just put this little demo together. I figure some might benefit from it. (I certainly got a lot from going through the process.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

I tried a multi level nav bar the other night and got into an awful tangle - the layers and softgroups! and when you create them and assign links is a pain in the neck and takes too long. XWD should have integrated the multi level nav bars, it does say after all it's a replacement for Webstyle - yes they did say that! I was hoping for Webstyle plus an Editor plus a few more bells and whistles all in one - what i got was a designers tool with too much messing about and it taking longer. I'm going to try putting in nav menus from Webstyle an see ho that goes as i can't be bothered and haven't got the time to faff about with layers and groups etc......

I will persevere as i've paid hard cash for it, but not sure i'll have any hair left !!!
    IP

I 100% agree. This should not be sold as a superior replacement for Webstyle 4 if something fundemental to any website has not been properly addressed - navigation! I am glad that I had downloaded the trial and looked at this forum before parting with my money. I am going to stick with Webstyle 4 and Dreameaver until this has been rectified. To build a nest of overlapping, non-dynamically linked mouseovers that have to be manually adjusted on resizing is ludicrous! Webstyle 4's menu proposition is not the best solution but at least it works and it is easy to use. Surely it can't be that difficult to incorporate some of the best and most useful elements of Webstyle into web Designer? Having said all this though, Web Designer does look like it could be a cracking application which I would love to use! Let's hope that an early upgrade incorporates some of the forum's suggestions.
    IP

I have been following this thread with interest but still cant get my dropdowns to work as required. I hope it is just because I'm jetlagged but in the meantime I attach a cut and paste version (for simplicity) of the navbar and sub menus I am trying to create. Any hints on how I should create and link the layers would be much appreciated.
    IP

attachment this time
    IP

Try this. Look at the layer gallery.
    John.
    IP