Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Multi-Level NavBar

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer
    What? You mean you want mouseover to work on another mouseover?
    No, not necessarily. The last test-button was configured out of frustration at the others not behaving as I imagined they should.

Thanks for the referenced reading and additional explanation.
    IP

It's quite simple. First of all, we have 3 types of layers.

1. Static layers. These are always visible. They can have any content you want.
    2. Pop up layers. Pop up layer can also contain anything you want, just as a static layer. But it is hidden until open it with mouse over or on click object.
    3. Rollover layers. These are distinguished by their names. Starting with "mouseover" or "mousedown". Rollover layers can contain only simple images. No links, no effects e.t.c. These images are used as a alternative states for the objects with links on the nearest pop up or static layer below.

So, the static layers (all exported as one) and every separate popup layer can have a separate set of rollover layers. Think of it this way - the button on the pop up layer can overlap with the button on the static layer. So you can place mouseover states of these two buttons on the same mouseover layer. So you can specify appropriate rollover layers for every pop up.

That simple.
    John.
    IP

Thanks, John. Following your clear explanation, then reading through "Layer ordering in website documents", in the xWD Help, I understand exactly how Xhris made his multi-level navbar function. Since his layers '1' and '1_3' are of type "pop-up" (not "static", and not "rollover"), they can each sport MouseOver and/or MouseDown states/layers. The smart stacking order of those layers means the difference between success and failure.

Xhris' example, layer ordering:
    Code:
    MouseDown 1_3 (only for the next pop-up layer down)
    MouseOver 1_3 (only for the next pop-up layer down)
    1_3           (pop-up layer, called by 'Page 3'
                   mouseover on layer '1' (pop-up))

MouseDown 1   (only for the next pop-up layer down)
    MouseOver 1   (only for the next pop-up layer down)
    1             (pop-up layer, called by 'Page 1'
                   mouseover on 'MouseOff' (static))

MouseDown     (for the sum of all static layers)
    MouseOver     (for the sum of all static layers)
    MouseOff      (static)
    Given the naming conventions, the layers could just as well have been named like this (with the same successful results):
    Code:
    MouseDownApple    (for next pop-up layer down)
    MouseOverOrange   (for next pop-up layer down)
    granite           (pop-up layer)

MouseDownWindow   (for next pop-up layer down)
    MouseOverDoor     (for next pop-up layer down)
    shale             (pop-up layer)

MouseDownStatic   (for the sum of all static layers)
    MouseOverDynamic  (for the sum of all static layers)
    walnut            (static layer)
    pine              (static layer)
    fir               (static layer)
    oak               (static layer)
    Pop-up layers can be stimulated from 1) static layers, or from 2) other pop-up layers. Please correct me if I am mistaken.
    Last edited by cursor; 16 March 2009 at 08:06 PM.
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Multi-Level NavBar

Yes, you are perfectly righ both regarding layer order and naming, and regarding possibility to call any pop up layer from any other pop up layer.
    John.
    IP

Hey all,

I'm new here on the forums, been using Xara for all my graphical stuff (except some things that I still need to use Paintshop for) and for mocking up my websites since summer of 2008. So I'm pretty interested in what this application has to offer and I've purchased it. I know it won't be a fit for all occassions, but definitely an option for some, which will give me a little more design freedom, but leaves them kind of unable to edit the site with new content...a trade off.

Anyway, to my point: I'm having an issue with getting the multi nav thing to work. If I download the .web file Xhris posted, and test in browser, it works, but I can't seem to pull it apart without disturbing the look (default link styles, etc).

When I try to create my own similar thing, the only way I can get mouseovers to work on the layer that is brought up from a first level is to name it so that it DOES NOT satart with MouseOver. In short, for me:

This doesn't work:

MouseOver PopNav -
    PopNav - mouse hover on shape set to pop up layer MouseOver PopNav - wither implicitly or explicitly
    MouseOver - nothing here
    MouseOff - pops up PopNav layer on click

To make it work all I have to do is change the name of the top layer to anything that doesn't start with MouseOver. I now have it as PopIt PopNav and it works just fine.

I'm confused, I'm sure.
    Last edited by slavelle; 17 March 2009 at 12:23 PM.
    IP

Can you show us your web file?
    John.
    IP

Post Re: Multi-Level NavBar

I got it figured out. For anyone who sees a similar issue in the future, maybe this will help.

My problem was that I didn't have a "link" on the objects over which I wanted the mouseover layer. I was leaving out the "assign a link" step. In the video Xhris did, he indeed tells you how to create the link and all that. I didn't know it was a required part of the exercise, so I just said to myself "I don't need this to actually link to anywhere".

In short, if you want the MouseOver layer to work the way it's designed to, having a link assigned to the object is a requirement. Here's the golden nugget from the help (that I also didn't read - italics added by me.

As long as the MouseOff version has a web address link, then the (MouseOver - implied) version will automatically be displayed as you move the mouse over it on the web page.
    IP

This thread doesn't have this video link which might be helpful for people.
    IP

I've been toying with variation of the multi-leveled menu. It's my first attempt (ever) ... with any website development software. It uses minimal real estate and feels comfortable, I think. Take a peek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	multi-level-menu-sample01.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	57706  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cursor; 18 March 2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added graphic attachment
    IP

Looks nice.
    I bet it was not that hard to create. Was it?
    John.
    IP