Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: PHP, SHTML, etc

Default Re: PHP, SHTML, etc

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    PHP is a scripting language designed for producing dynamic web pages, often with MySql database backends to serve the content dynamically to the page.
    You cannot create a HTML page in Web Designer and convert it to a PHP (for example) simply by changing the extension name.
    A php page source is entirely different to standard HTML.

Web Designer hasn't been designed to create PHP scripted sites.

PHP is a server processed scripting language using the CGI model. Converting a DBP or WD site to use php is as simple as changing the extension to php and embedding <?php ?> sections containing code. You can even do the PHP in placeholders on different layers to make it easier within the software.

The only issues with WD and DBP is you gotta change the extensions post-export, and use CSS overflow-y:auto; property on placeholder DIVs. If you don't like ugly scrollbars don't bother though, and don't bother asking for dynamic placeholders even though the feature is a lot easier to implement then a lot of the stuff they keep implementing in releases and has been requested a trillion times.

HINT: use XAMPP for local testing, it can also be done inside the software
    Last edited by xobo; 22 April 2011 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xobo View Post
    dynamic placeholders
    Available a s tweak http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...kset-for-XWD-6
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    It'd be better if they just did it with CSS. Your hack uses jscript to change CSS/DOM properties on the fly. In fact they should just ditch jscript for CSS completely so the generated content doesn't break under so many client configurations. At least in the web designer since it's marketed for public use.

I know all the regulars and older members here agree with me no matter what vendor PR friendly responses they give. Using javascript for anything other than legacy alpha blending is just plain bad for any type of end-user design. I guess using their ~3 year old jscript stubs is easier than rolling out a couple hundred bytes of CSS though

Xobo, you are probably not aware that I am the author of the Xara HTML export filter. There is no practical way to have dynamic css layout exported from static WYSIWYG design created in Xara. This subject was discussed a whole lot of times in the last 3 years here, and I do not want to explain it here again.
    Just to summarize: Xara design model is static WYSIWYG. So the exported HTML is also static and as much WYSIWYG as possible. This has it's advantages and disadvantages, but it can not be changed in the near future. The tweak is there for experienced users that may find it useful.
    John.

Thanks John.

Quote Originally Posted by xobo View Post
    It'd be better if they just did it with CSS. Your hack uses jscript to change CSS/DOM properties on the fly. In fact they should just ditch jscript for CSS completely so the generated content doesn't break under so many client configurations. At least in the web designer since it's marketed for public use.

I know all the regulars and older members here agree with me no matter what vendor PR friendly responses they give. Using javascript for anything other than legacy alpha blending is just plain bad for any type of end-user design. I guess using their ~3 year old jscript stubs is easier than rolling out a couple hundred bytes of CSS though
    Yeah I've posted about it before..the method for CSS is only a change in element structs, a new fill type, and scaling in the exporter. The hacky way is independent z-index for a dynamic place holder, you can even reduce code for this method..but it's your product..

Nobody besides adobe does anything close to this, so it's not like you have to compete for a decent market share..