Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CMYK-problem in Xara vs. Photoshop

Hi everybody,

I made a logo that uses the CMYK-color 30%,100%,90%,40% which is a nice burgundy red.

If I set these percentages in Photoshop, the color is as it should be (see sample left).
    If I define the same CMYK-color in Xara, it gives me the result to the right.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here ??
    Any tips anybody ??

A very confused

Wolfgang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xx_red.gif 
Views:	17560 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	57460  

Default Re: CMYK-problem in Xara vs. Photoshop

The Monitorprofil in Xara and Phtoshop is the same?

导出TIFF后在Photoshop里打开,和Photoshop里是一样的颜色。可能是Xa ra Xtreme的视图显示偏深的原因,CorelDraw的色板也是偏深导出后正常,很多矢量软件或多或少都 有色彩显示不准的毛病!
    Do not speak English, use Google Translation:Export TIFF Lane opened in Photoshop, and Photoshop is the same color. Xara Xtreme may be the view shows the deep causes of migraine, CorelDraw deep side of the plate is derived after the normal, more or less a lot of vector software have allowed the wrong color!

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	57468  

I have a calibrated screen (Spyder Pro) and Photoshop uses my monitor profile.
    I don't find a way to use a certain color profile in Xara though ...

Anyway, I don't think that it's about profiles.
    The right (Xara) sample above was saved from Xara and imported into Photoshop.

And once imported into Photoshop it looks exactly the same as in Xara and has a totally different reading of CMYK values

Must be something different ...

Wolfgang

Sorry to the person above my former post, but I can't make head nor tails of the Google translation ...

Anybody else to enlighten me ??

Xara works in RGB only. It can and does work with spot colors and the primary colors transfer fine. Mixed CMYK colors are a crapshoot with xara. Not unless you want to totally rewrite the graphics engine. The cost would be prohibitive. I usually just fix it in IA or PS after I import the graphic. Logos are easy, (usually... very limited color) to fix.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    Xara works in RGB only. It can and does work with spot colors and the primary colors transfer fine. Mixed CMYK colors are a crapshoot with xara. Not unless you want to totally rewrite the graphics engine. The cost would be prohibitive. I usually just fix it in IA or PS after I import the graphic. Logos are easy, (usually... very limited color) to fix.
    John,

if this is true and Xara just "can't" properly work with CMYK, they should not put "Pro" in the name and not charge premium for it.
    I've been searching here before, but did not really find something similiar to my problem.

Could anybody from Xara give a statement to this?
    Or maybe Gary or Steve ??

Thanks
    Wolfgang

Quite a few of the members here have been asking for a fix in this area like a proper CMYK colour mode for quite a few years instead of Simulate Print Colours from the Window menu area. Having said all that XPro is accurate in its export of the true CMYK colours as you can see from the attachment. What you have to do is use the PDF export to obtain the correct values. In the attachment I drew a rectangle using your values and then exported as PDF opened the PDF in Illustrator, it could have been PS, and drew a restangle there with the same values and as you can see they are the same.

Now the deep red colours do not show up well with the "Simulate Print Colours" on and the same can be said for deep purples. The way around this is that I use is to have a colour chart printed from the screen using in RGB using CMYK values and keep your monitor value upto date using the Spyder or what ever else that you use. It can be a bit of a guesstimate on the colour you are using if you are working from the start of a design. On a weekly basis I am sending work to a printer and so long as I remember that Simulate Print Colours only gives an approximate of the colours used and that I check it against my chart I have little or no problems.

Name:	test.png 
Views:	476 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	57517  
    Design is thinking made visual.

Albacore,

thanks for the explanation.

You are correct, a CMYK-value exported from X to PS (I don't have Illustrator) as PDF gives the same values AND looks correct too on the screen (in PS at least).

However, I normally need EPS and here the values change, if only slightly.

I also still have the problem, that the 30,100,90,40 looks very dark and totally wrong in Xara, like the sample in my topmost post.

Am I missing a setting for color profiles in Xara ??
    I was thinking that it would automatically use my monitor profile?

If I export anything from Photoshop, it *always* looks the way it was meant to be.
    Exporting from Xara often gives different results when viewed in other programs ...

In this very case, I will try to do with PDF, since at least it keeps the color.

But chosing a color visually in Xara is always tiresome, since I have to recheck in PS, go back and forth and often change the values in Xara ...

Wolfgang

Since nobody answered, once more the question:
    Is there a way to set XX4P to my monitor's color profile ??

Thanks
    Wolfgang