Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default links to pdf documents

I am having trouble trying to link to a pdf document in a directory called "documents". This "documents" directory is in the same directory as the index files.
    I have a button which I have linked to:
    documents/123.pdf
    but I can't get the document to appear when I click on the button in Browser Preview mode...what am I doing wrong?
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: links to pdf documents

I have a link on my site to a pdf document, the way I do it is to upload the pdf file to the server first. My web host has an option to upload single files via a file manager. Once the file is on the server then I link to it using the complete path for example www. sitename.com/directory name/filename.pdf
    Last edited by angelize; 12 March 2009 at 05:38 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Stan,
    Are you wanting the link to 'open' the PDF in the preview window, or simply invoke the file download dialog?
    IP

Preview window doesn't pull up the file but opening the saved HTML file on your local hard drive and clicking on the link works OK.

There are arguments for and against using relative (directory name/filename.pdf) vs absolute links (h##p://www.sitename.com/directoryname/filename.pdf) :

http://www.conversion-matters.co.uk/...inks-revisited

I use relative links for my teaching materials as I've got a version on the net and an intranet version for when the web dies... teaching IT without net access, things grind to a shuddering halt!

If you want to upload multiple files via FTP, it's worth checking out Filezilla ( http://filezilla-project.org/ ), the best free FTP program out there.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"
    IP

I was wanting the link to open in a new window when I selected the linked button in the preview window
    IP

I must admit that this particular function works well in Xara Xtreme but does not appear to work in XWD, I cannot get a link to a PDF file to work in XWD at all, even if I export the site and try it from the exported site! Have a look at my published Xara Xtreme site at:
    [link removed, because of (possible false) virus warnings]
    Last edited by remi; 23 March 2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: link removed, because of virus warnings
    IP

The "More info" button opens pdf file in a new window.
    John.
    IP

Thanks John, I know the "more info" button on my website open the pdf file in a new window, the website was designed using Xara Xtreme and functions well for the whole site.
    I can't get the same fuctionality with a website designed with Xara Web Designer for some unknown reason
    IP

Ah, I see. Can you show us the design exported by WD, so that we can take a look and find out what's wrong to fix it?
    Thank you.
    John.
    IP

I can definitely achieve what I want with Xara Xtreme but cannot do the same with Xara Web Designer.

All I require is to be able to link a button to any document (not necessarily a PDF file, could be jpg, png, word doc etc)

I require that the file I'm trying to access resides in the same place as the
    index files (or a folder within the same location) and I require that the file opens in a new window.

All of the above is possible in Xara Xtreme but not in Xara Web Designer
    IP