Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default "Previous" doesn't function as 'back'...

I've noticed that in setting up a button to jump to <previous page> the result is the button may not take you back to the actual previous page you were viewing.

If your browsing takes you from page one directly to page four, then the <previous> action won't take you back to your actual previous page - page one - it will take you to page three. <Previous> and <Next> buttons do work as expected if you navigate the site sequentially -- from page 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 etc.

Is there a way to have a 'previous' button that behaves like a browser 'back' button and will take you to the actual previous page you visited?

Regards, Ross
    IP

Default Re: "Previous" doesn't function as 'back'...

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    Is there a way to have a 'previous' button that behaves like a browser 'back' button and will take you to the actual previous page you visited?
    Not without scripting.
    John.
    IP

Simply insert following string in the "Link to web address" field:

javascript:history.go(-1)

For "forward" button it's:

javascript:history.go(1)
    John.
    IP

John,

Shouldn't this (what the script does) be the NORMAL behavior for <Next page> and <Previous page> ?

The way they work now is useful, but perhaps should be named something else.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    Shouldn't this (what the script does) be the NORMAL behavior for <Next page> and <Previous page> ?
    No it shouldn't. The idea of the "next" and "previous" links in the WD is that if you swap pages in your site, you don't need to alter their links in case they are used as a sequence. See the Gary Priester tutorial as an example.
    These are just absolutely different things and have nothing in common except for the names used.
    The way they work now is useful, but perhaps should be named something else.
    Well, the history navigation is usually called "Back" and "Forward" not the "Previous page" and "Next page". Look at the tooltips in your browser. So I'm pretty sure that our naming of this feature is absolutelly correct.

BTW, why would anyone add back/fore buttons on his page if every user see them both on the browsers toolbar?
    John.
    IP

Default [Suggestion]

I understand what you' re saying ... not arguing.

Suggesting that Page Next and Page Previous (per the physical pages of the .Web document) and Back and Forward (per the navigation history) are all useful depending upon the design of the website and how that could result in the user's navigation behavior.

But rather than using the script approach, have all four available in the Link to box of the Web Properties > Link dialog in a future release. I think that would be more user friendly.
    IP

Default Re: [Suggestion]

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    But rather than using the script approach, have all four available in the Link to box of the Web Properties > Link dialog in a future release.
    >
    BTW, why would anyone add back/fore buttons on his page if every user see them both on the browsers toolbar?
    John.
    IP

"BTW, why would anyone add back/fore buttons on his page if every user see them both on the browsers toolbar? "

For client specific needs. For example web based online training manuals or Operation and Maintenance manuals. Folks on production floor can be really unsaavy with browser navigation. Also may depend upon how Browser is configured at different workstations on the floor.

You'd be surprised at some of the guidelines set by clients, especially those will low budgets for training their employees.
    IP

I see. I assume this is very specific demand. Overwhelming majority of the pages created with WD are oriented at readers familiar with their browser (otherwise they would be not able to reach any page in the web, since everyone who knows how to enter url, knows how to use back and forward buttons). Thus, this feature is mostly redundant. Especially considering the simplicity of it's implementation by the designer, as I have suggested previously.

Implementing this capability may also provoke unexperienced designers to use it too often. Using history links is not considered a good practice as it can be misleading and confusing for the visitors. And unexperienced designers are a major group of WD users. On the other hand, experienced designers would not have any problems using simple js links.

Just my thoughts though.
    John.
    IP

"...just my thoughts"

My thoughts as well. The debate about the user's knowledge with regards to software/computers has been an issue the occurs over and over when formulating electronic documentation manuals and the like.

I agree with you, but it seems to fall of deaf ears. Companies have invested many $ in IT people and programmers to develop specially targeted apps, only to reverse their thinking (downsizing IT departments)and look for an off-the-shelf solution [hello XWD] . Time is the only remedy. ... But I regress.

I get frustrated by it too (probably the same way you get with non-Html savvy folks like myself )

I think XWD will help in bridging this gap. You patience with "us" is key to our understanding. So long as you're willing to listen, so will Xara's loyal customers.
    Last edited by jclements; 19 March 2009 at 05:35 PM.
    IP