Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Tip: Use the Pasteboard...

With regards to the program's window, Xara call the real estate around the "page" the "pasteboard". It can be useful in both Xtreme & Web Designer. I suspect most users will use it primarily for temporary placement of objects. Note that it can also be used to keep more permanent notes about your design. You could for instance keep a to-do list or note the urls of sites/services where images or other content you've used in the design originated. You could also keep a running list of modifications made to the design as might come in handy if you're billing a client or ever have a copyright dispute. How you use it is limited only by your imagination.

The advantage of using it as a place for such notes is it saves with the file yet when you export it isn't included. Note that if you start keeping important notes there you can put the notes on a layer and use the layer properties to lock it - to avoid accidental deletion. You could also hide the layer(s).

Regards, Ross
    IP

Default Re: Tip: Use the Pasteboard...

+1
    Very good tip and reminder Ross, a habit I picked up from SignLab users some years ago which I carried through to CorelDRAW and of course Xtreme and now WD.

It is as you say very useful.
    IP

Neither Xtreme nor XWD honours hidden layers, so the notes content needs to be off page.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    the notes content needs to be off page.
    This is what is called pasteboard, isn't it?
    John.
    IP

Yes Paul, that's what Ross is saying, off the page in the 'pasteboard' area.

arrggh - John the jet beat me again....
    IP

At first reading "You could also hide the layer(s)." seemed to imply an alternative to using the pasteboard. I guess I read something different into the tip.

Paul (who doesn't understand why Xtreme and XWD insists on exporting hidden layers)
    IP

Yes,

By setting the layers to hidden one could use simple javascript hide();show();
    to use it to show a layer onload and have it hide after a click,mouseover,.. whatever.

Hans
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    Yes,

By setting the layers to hidden one could use simple javascript hide();show();
    to use it to show a layer onload and have it hide after a click,mouseover,.. whatever.

Hans
    XWD doesn't preserve layer info in the generated HTML.

If I have chosen to hide a layer in the designer, why does it export that layer and make it visible?

Paul
    IP

I was agreeing with you Paul,

To have the option to have layers being invisible and not export(exclude)
    And have the layers being invisible and export,for the usage with my suggested javascript hide/show

Hans
    IP

hakoo we are geniuses. I manage to hide my genius well.
    IP