Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Web Designer versus Xtreme Pro

I would prefer they keep the two separate.
    -=Bob=-

I'd also prefer that they kept them separate.

I'd also think that since they modified an existing version to be the new Web Designer (so I gather, I haven't actually tried it) if they wanted it to be in XPro 5, they would have just released it as XPro 5 already.

Now that they have a dedicated product for generating Web pages I would think that they'd keep it separate, enhance it as needed to reach people's expectations, and keep the existing web page export in Pro as just another format to export.

On the other hand, you never know. However I would think that people that bought Web Designer would probably be rather choked if the next version of Xara (pro or otherwise) included all the functionality of Web Designer, causing them to pay upgrade money for functionality they'd already purchased. (though this presumes that everyone who bought Web Designer is also interested in plain Xtreme).
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Here's my opinion and hopes,

We all know the apps by Adobe and how much it's hated for its learning curve and bloatwareness.
    They wouldn't make the mistake to put it into one app.
    I think that the new marketing strategy is going to be more like the serif approach.(No,I don't mean the not providing trial versions)
    Separate programs for different tasks.

-A DTP program with some vector and photo editing capabilities.
    -A vector/drawing program with more vector,3d,animation tools
    -A webprogram with the best of the other worlds.

And have the formats being interchangeable.
    This if you buy a suite/studio it would make sense

Hans

I have no problem with having all the web functionality in XXPro5. It's no different than other products with lite versions for limited, specific functionality. And XWD is being touted as a replacement for Xara Webstyle, anyway.

I just don't think that the web features should be the basis for a 5.0 version. If they're there, that's a bonus. And I won't feel cheated for having to "pay for them twice". The price is very reasonable, either way.

But, significant new functionality apart from html export, is needed to justify the version increment, IMO...

One good thing is that XWD functionality added to Xtreme isn't going to be enough to get people buying Xtreme now, so hopefully efforts will be in non web areas..

Another 2 cents: Since Xara is part of Magix, i think the future focus is on web applications. The multipage thing was already implemented many years ago in the file format of xara, there wasn't just an interface for it (add/remove/move page). The biggest highlight of Xara in the past would have been PDF/X export (and thanks HEAPS for that!).

Any new vector tools would be great but i doubt it. More DTP functionality such as spellcheck will bloat Xara (but it would be needed), where do you start or stop to add functionality with all the areas that Xara already covers anyway?

I'm really in favor of keeping them separate. My experience with "one size fits all" approaches to any sort of design (not just software) is you end up with a product that's mediocre at many things and excellent at none. Another bonus of taking the mindset of multiple applications, each with its own focus, is the user can pick what they need a la carte to customize their suite of tools and doesn't end up paying for functions they neither need nor want.
    Last edited by Spinny; 10 March 2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: grammar
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spinny View Post
    I'm really in favor of keeping them separate. My experience with "one size fits all" approaches to any sort of design (not just software) is you end up with a product that's mediocre at many things and excellent at none.
    Totally agree.

What's that expression? "Jack of all trades, master of none." :-)

Cheers

Doug

I would also very much appreciate Xara use this opportunity to ditch the web design stuff from Xtreme and convert it into a single-purpose graphics design package. Web development is done with HTML, CSS and JavaScript, not a graphics program The *graphics* of a web site are created with a graphics package, true.
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    Web development is done with HTML, CSS and JavaScript, not a graphics program The *graphics* of a web site are created with a graphics package, true.
    Clearly this is no longer the case, true?