Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Web Designer versus Xtreme Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Ha, we'll see. Ok, my prediction: Xtreme 5 will have all WD's functionality (which is essentially what's already in Xtreme 4 but improved since it was first released). Upgrade pricing will take into account whether you have WD or not.

This is a simple logical extrapolation based on Xara's history and what's already there. I bet 10 imaginary TG currency units I'm right.

I'll dig this thread out when it's released (I'd guess later this year) to collect my winnings.
    Ok, guess I was right, and it's pay up time to me Xtreme 5 does have all of WD's improved web support included. And content aware scale is about a million times faster than Photoshop's implementation!

Default Re: Web Designer versus Xtreme Pro

Yeah - Just downloaded Xtreme Pro 5 and the new Object Gallery replacement to the Layer Gallery is really great. Will be useful for both graphical stuff in trying to dig out an object that is obscured from view and intuitively move it within the layer on the layer stack - and it will also greatly simplify the Web Design stuff because of the inclusion of all of the pages of the site with their names (tied to the actual page file name), order, and layers within the Object Gallery.

I definitely like where this is headed, but I hope that there will be some options still to come - such as the ability to select a layer on one page and copy it to another page. There still doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this short of going to the page, creating a like-named layer, going back to the first page, selecting everything on the layer you want (which has definitely been made easier with the object gallery), copy, go back to next page, paste in place on the new layer. Not a huge deal, but if you have a lot of new layers that need to get on every page, it can be a hassle.
    <edit: I just found the new option, alongside the "allpages same size" that there is a "same layers on all pages" check as well, which will at least create matching layers for all pages, which is pretty handy. At least then, all you have to do is copy paste the info there or "repeat" it on all pages.>

I'd also like to see transparency available at the layer level as well - so you could see through a whole layer at once instead of on an object by object basis. This would be for editing purposes, not final graphic creation - for being able to lay something on top of something else and see through to below to trace or whatever. It is nice that now on an object level, you can show or hide, so what I'm looking for can be accomplished by placing an object at the bottom of the stack, setting it to barely transparnet and then using the visibility for that object on that layer to determine if the "shade" is drawn.

Just a few first observations.

Between the inclusion of ALL of the XWD stuff into XXtreme, I will be able to use one tool, and the upgrade of JUST this layer stuff is worth the price of PRO admisission for me (especially at the upgrade price). I'll save more than that in one website design frustration of not being able to ALT-click just the right thing to select it from below - or not even know where the object went - now it's in a nice list in stack order. sweet.
    Last edited by slavelle; 04 June 2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: fact correction