Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: ? about email ?

Default ? about email ?

I know that I can prefill the subject matter in the mail with the line
    ......... me@here?subject=Blah, Blah .......

What I would like to know is: Is it possible to create a prewritten email where the person can enter the pertinent data.........a form if you will........

I do have a form on my site and if and when I rebuilt it with X.W.Design, I will just link to the existing form, but if I could eliminate it and just use an email, that would be perfect for my needs. An example

Subject: Room Inquiry .........(?subject=Room Inquiry)

(Body of the letter)

Please fill in the following

Name........

Address....

etc, etc.

In otherwords, my form with out the form. Anybody think this is possible

............frank
    IP

Default Re: ? about email ?

Can't do that right now.

There are websites where you can create forms and import the forms into Web Designer using the Placeholder option.
    IP

Yes it is possible.
    You can specify "body" option in the e-mail link, with the content you like.
    For example, in the Web Properties dialog, enter following link to the object:

someone@somwhere.com subject: My vote cc: moderator@thissite.com body: Please fill in the following%0a%0aName........%0a%0aAddress....%0a%0a etc, etc.

Note: the "%0a" is used for a new string in the text.
    Also remember that the total length of the link in WD is limited to about 250 characters, so you should not try to insert very long body text in it.
    Last edited by covoxer; 09 March 2009 at 08:06 AM.
    John.
    IP

Well, now that is totally amazing. I thought I was asking a very idiotic question but that should have got me kick out of the forum for stupidity, but I tried what you suggested and it works. It is now where near as convient as a form, but I do not have to run after my server to have a CGI script installed.

Plus, this last year I have been having a lot of trouble with the form. First the CGI script went bad, but even when it works, some people see it, some people don't. Some people can send it and other times it doesn't: and if the people never phone you have no idea how often this happens. Besides the inconvience of filling in the letter, I think this is a very viable alternative.

Thank you John, thank you very much.........you certainly deserve the big bucks. And by the way, all the help and input you are putting into the forum this last year is definitly helping the Xara's group image, it's great public relations at a very small cost.

..........frank

Well, I'm back after about 10 minutes of playing with it and I will include the whole code I have written.

(mailto:you@atyourhome.com?subject=Room Inquiry body: %0a%0aName%0a%0aAddress%0a%0aDate of Arrival%0a%0aDate of Departure%0a%0aWhich Room%0a%0aComments or Questions%0a%0aWith this information we can reply as soon as possible if the room is available)

This is not final but only an example to help me learn. If you would like to try it just copy and paste in the link property box........link to web address button selected...........view your site and click on your email icon and regard the letter when it pops up..........rather most amazing........thank you again for your help John..........frank
    Last edited by Seagull; 09 March 2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Pasting code
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    ...Thank you John, thank you very much.........you certainly deserve the big bucks. And by the way, all the help and input you are putting into the forum this last year is definitly helping the Xara's group image, it's great public relations at a very small cost...
    Just like to echo that. Not only can you guide other pros, you also do so well helping those of us with minimal knowledge of coding and stuff ... a good example being the explanation of the new string above - simple, but not obvious to all. Very patient with both groups! I'd vote for a pay rise
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP