Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Uploading single pages

Hi guys, I'm having a ball with WD, a great product, and such a nice change from Frontpage. The placeholder tool is neat, plus I see no problem with editing the actual html of the page by downloading it and editing then ftp back to site.

My question is about uploading if you have simply changed one page of a site. Is there any way to simply upload that page, withoput having to re-upload the whole site?

Cheers, and thanks again for a great bit of software!

Wewak
    IP

Default Re: Uploading single pages

Welcome to TG Forums wewak.

The 'Publish' mechanism of WD uploads the entire site.
    Manually uploading a single page is possible, but not from within WD. It does depend on the nature of the changes you have made.
    If for example if it was a spelling mistake, you can do this via the source if that's easy for you (though adding an extra line of text can't easily be done manually - it hasn't been designed for or aimed at those who want to edit the source). But if you have added or removed a graphic object then the entire site will have been altered to accommodate the change with image export numbering (0.png, 1.png, 2.png, 3.png and so on).
    If the entire page is significantly and greatly altered, then the answer is no, just republish the entire site.
    IP

Thanks. I kinda figured that, it makes it slightly awkward on a big site, but I can still see the possibility of CREATING the site with WD, publishing it all, then downloading it into Frontpage and editing from there. Much experimenting to be done!

Wewak
    IP

Might be an idea if WD allowed you to select from a list of the files / folders on a site to upload?
    IP

Single page publishing and single page preview are on the wish list.
    IP

So far I have been really impressed with XWD.
    The biggest drawback for me is the publish all pages issue.
    I am delighted to hear this is on the wish list.

The program I started my web experience with was Trellix. Like XWD, the WYSIWYG program used a compressed file format and would convert the HTML during the publishing process, then connect to the FTP destination assigned. Then the program produced a simple txt file at the end of publishing process. Generally speaking, a txt file was simply a list of all page/file names within that design file along with a date/time change coding for each. At the beginning of the next publish procedure, the content of that file was compared to the content of the edited file and since only one or two pages changed, only those pages were uploaded and the txt file was overwritten with the latest information. Simple and added only a couple seconds to the process. Could something like that be used by XWD?

This is a sample of what our old txt would looked like for reference.

"index.htm",35283,-1628222506
    "id3.htm",9499,626357139
    "HTMLobj-1567/reps1107-600x234.jpg",36574,518489714
    "id7.htm",42762,-1366632116
    "thanks.htm",4823,-2094612716
    "kkorder.php",84858,-1460477786
    "thanksorder.htm",5238,-227848959
    "4e50a0b0.gif",861,409007795
    "7fc090a0.png",1170,934130568
    "7e1090a0.gif",854,-1481313950
    Last edited by samrc; 12 March 2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: removed caps from delighted, colored text instead
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
    IP

Far as I've been able to tell, should be no big problem doing this--with the usual caveats that have been mentioned already. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you are comfortable editing XHMTL (I use a free utility called Note Tab Light, quite good).

I have experimented, replacing the placeholder with a simple div of my own for instance. With the style set correctly (dimensions and positioning), I think you can put in whatever code you like. Of course you do not use the 'ap' class id. In Note Tab you can immediately test in your browser. XWD source is pretty compact, not so easy to find your way around in it, but after all it's just absolutely positioned markup, there's no magic here, no hidden secrets that I can see. You just have to be careful and sort of know what you're doing.

I'm no hotshot hacker, but after a couple days fooling around with XWD I'm feeling fairly undaunted. I think the program is amazing, beautiful for designers and others who don't know HTML. For those who do it's maybe even more amazing. I'm not keen on manually writing my own markup if I don't have to so I think WD is an incredible breakthrough for Xara. I expect we'll see even more in coming releases.

Phil
    Phil Thompson
    IP