Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Error: Unable to find the filter to import that file with

Just got WD and thought I'd transfer my website designed with XtremePro4 into it to do from there from now on.
    Copied in nicely but when I go to export, I get the "Error: Unable to find the filter to imort that file with" message. So I can't do it. The 'help' button on the error just loads the general help.
    Presumably I've got something that WD won't handle then.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of tracking the problem down, as I don't really want to start from scratch just yet!

Thanks, steve
    IP

Default Re: Error: Unable to find the filter to imort that file with

I assume you opened a .xar file into Web Designer created in Xtreme 4?
    WD is basically a light version of Xtreme but with many additional HTML design and Web export features, but is missing some of the special features of Xtreme.

Perhaps if you could attached your .xar file, we may be able to check what's causing the error for you?
    IP

Many thanks for the offer of help.
    Yes I just opened the .xar file in WD. The file is only half the website as I have had problems with size and so split it into 2 parts.
    The site (www.leedsnasuwt.org.uk) was done completely in XtremePro, as you'll recognise! It wasn't meant to be that big and has not been 'offically launched' yet due to workload, and so I was trying to get it sorted.

The first half .xar file is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Hi,

You have used an unsupported 'BarrelFX/Pincushion' plugin filter.
    Re open the file in Xtreme, remove the effect and export as a .web file.
    Then open this in WD.
    Also note that you have used several non-web safe (supported) fonts.

However, after noting the unsupported effects and fonts, the site exports from WD without further errors for me. (BTW: Nicely set out, neat site )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barrelfx.png 
Views:	425 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	57328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unsupportedfonts.png 
Views:	406 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	57329  

IP

I really appreciate this. You can tell I'm no designer and used Xara for everything in the site but I was as pleased as punch that it looked fine with so little work apart from my wording.
    Thankyou for sorting this error out for me - I will get rid of the effect and sort the fonts out.
    Best wishes, Steve
    IP

The missing live effect shouldn't stop you from exporting your site as HTML. The site should end up looking like it does in Web Designer rather than in Xtreme (e.g. there is presumably an effect missing from some object in the document when viewed in Web Designer).

The non-standard font warnings are simply saying that the site may not look the same in everyone's browser as they may not have the fonts installed on their machine. There are numerous ways of getting round this:

1. Change the font used to be a standard font.
    2. Group the text object with some other object (or just by itself). This will force the text to be converted to a bitmap image.
    3. Set the image type in the Image tab of the Web Properties dialog. This will again force the object to be output as a bitmap.

You actual problem sounds more like the problem described in: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36654

If you are still having this problem trying to export your website then could you follow the steps listed in post #15 on page 2? (http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...3&postcount=15)

Thanks,
    Gerry
    IP

Hello Gerry
    I have submitted the log files as suggested, as disabling AVG didn't help.
    Clicking 'Run as admistrator' did work though. I hope this is helpful and thankyou for your efforts.
    Best wishes, Steve
    IP