Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Questiion/How To: Is there a way to trigger a PopUp Photo from another object?

See the attached example. Modify if you want if there is way to accomplish this please.

Assume this is a catalogue page where user clicks on button/text description and an element of the graphic enlarges (as opposed to clicking directly on the graphic).

I know PopUp Layers can be used; however, PopUp Photos seem to be much easier to setup and more economical (no duplicate images).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Default Re: Questiion/How To: Is there a way to trigger a PopUp Photo from another object?

Not without scripting.
    John.
    IP

Default Re: Questiion/How To: Is there a way to trigger a PopUp Photo from another object?

C:

Would there be a standard snippet of code that could be resused by cutting and pasting into one of the XWD dialogue boxes and then replace the info that identifies the specific popup photo?
    IP

Not automatically, as with pop-up photos, but it takes only a few seconds to do it with layers, see attached. So yes you have to copy the objects, make larger versions yourself and paste on new layers. But that's a few clicks really.

There's no more duplication of images in the final HTML than with pop-up photos, because there's two version of the photo generated for pop-up photos anyway (that's actually the most efficient thing to do in fact).

The photo pop-up code is hardwired into the program so it knows it has to generate two versions of the image for use in the HTML. External scripts are not easily going to be able to do this becaue only Xara can generate the different sized versions of the images.
    IP

Charles, thanks for taking the time to reply. Layer popup is definitely innovative approach and easy to use. I've played with it the last couple days.

I was thinking maybe trying to convince some folks in my company to see if they could use this for producing online Operations and Maintenance Manuals. However, they way they current handle graphics is a bit different. Also, there well could be 10+ text narrative-paragraphs per page for one graphic, rather than the 3 in the pretend example I posted. But, once I practive a bit, I can at least show them what XWD CAN do in this version. I know they will like the text handling abilities and graphic optimizaton, templates, and reasonable learning curve.

That said, it would be nice, as I mentioned in other postings, if you could run scripts or run a recorder for repetitive tasks such as this (select a bunch of photos or objects with that have names, let the script create and name all the popup layers using the object names or tag them for popup photos).

Thanks again for replying.

John
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    C:
    Would there be a standard snippet of code that could be resused by cutting and pasting into one of the XWD dialogue boxes and then replace the info that identifies the specific popup photo?
    Yes, here it is:

javascript:window.open(document.getElementById('my _image').href,'_self')

To use it:
    1. Add unique name to the image object that has a gallery popup.
    2. Insert provided string into the "Link to web address:" field of the object that you want to invoke the popup.
    3. Replace "my_image" with the name you gave to your thumbnail image.

Please note, that in the object name you should use only alphabet letters, digits and following characters '-', '_', and it must start with a letter and it can't be 'x' or 'X'. Otherwise it will be encoded and you wouldn't know what exactly to insert into the script.
    Last edited by covoxer; 09 March 2009 at 08:33 AM.
    John.
    IP

That is very neat John. So now you can make photo pop-ups appear from any link, not just the thumbnail.
    IP

It sure is.

If I have time today, I'll give it a test run.

Regarding insertable code:
    I think I will create a special folder in my Design Templates called, "Snippet"s. . . .I will populate it with .web examples; each having the code and instructions how to implement for future reference.

In a future release, you might want to consider a separate gallery (or folder in templates) specifically targeted for snippets and "advanced" methods.

Thanks John and Charles for hanging in there for me and the rest of us!
    Regards, John
    IP

Question Re: Questiion/How To: Is there a way to trigger a PopUp Photo from another object?

Well I tried.

The blue triangle to the left of the text is the trigger.

I am getting an error message relating to a right paren ).

As far as I can tell all parenthesis I input are paired.

I must be misunderstanding something in your instructions. I don't see any typos in my javascript string.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    Well I tried.

The blue triangle to the left of the text is the trigger.

I am getting an error message relating to a right paren ).

As far as I can tell all parenthesis I input are paired.

I must be misunderstanding something in your instructions. I don't see any typos in my javascript string.
    Typo - you're missing the full stop before href
    IP