Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Webstyle users note that....

If like me you are still maintaining a fetish like attachment to your webstyle 4 application you can drag most webstyle items straight from the webstyle view pane onto the webdesigner page. They do arrive in webdesiger rasterised of course and cant be edited. Make sure you have made them at least as large as you need as upsizing will deteriorate the quality

You can drag webstyles .wix files from windows explorer
    (c:\program files\xara\webstyle 4\WSTemplates\misc headings)
    and other misc folders onto the webstyle page and they are editable, but you can't easily import them as disc designs as not all the files are readable to webdesigner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webstyle_in_webdesigner.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	57307  
    IP

Default Re: Webstyle users note that....

Hi Bob,

thanks for the hint - btw. this also can be done in Xtreme: Just drag the *.wix file into Xtreme and you are able to can edit the whole file.

Michael
    IP

Please note that you can find "*.wix" file type in both import and export dialogs of the Xtreme and WD.
    John.
    IP

Thanks,

Whats a wix in relation to a xar then

Is a wix a single object and a xar all the objects on a page plus the page meta data
    IP

Hi Bob,

Open a *.wix file in a text editor.

It appears to be a text based version of a Xara X era .xar file in the case of a Webstyle button template wix.

For a wix file exported from Xare Xtreme Pro 4.0 it is still text based for the .xar file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whatisWix.gif 
Views:	246 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	57309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxp4-wix.gif 
Views:	245 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	57310  

Last edited by Soquili; 08 March 2009 at 02:33 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Bill:

Two things:

1- What is and Why the Wix format? I read the Help file but the explanation is vague.

2- I see after looking at the notepad postings the word FLARE at the top (header?). Now from way back I remember there was a FLARE viewer/plugin for viewing .xar files in Internet Explorer. Do you know if there is a relationship here between .WIX and that viewer?

Covoxer >> By coincidence yesterday, before seeing this post, I was thinking how great it would if there was a way to enable XWD to view a .Xar or .Web file inside a frame (or via a placeholder) and use something similar to what FLARE could do ... zoom in and pan.
    IP

FLARE - is an internal name of the xar file format.
    I'm not aware of any plans of the new xar viewer browser plug in. Flash seems to be sufficient for this purpose. Besides, it is unlikely that most of the web browsing users would like to install one more plug-in.
    John.
    IP

A .wix file is a plain text version of the the .xar (or .web) file. It was used by the old Webstyle as an internal working file format. You can open them in Xara Xtreme and Web Designer.

It was invented a long time ago, before the advent of XML, which is how we'd do plain text version of .xar files nowadays. One day we might do this.
    IP