Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: [TIP] How to re use a placeholder

Do you have an extra toolbar installed?
    This will make your viewport smaller,hence the scrollbar

I use firefox with a webdevelopment-bar( http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/ )that shows the exact size of your viewport and you can try to accommodate to it
    But you'll never know exact what your viewers will be using,like;
    -extra toolbar like google
    -panels open(history,favorites,rss)
    -or even changed resolution for larger display

Hans

I've downloaded the webdev toolbar and still it seems wider than 800. I have nothing either side. See attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	57541  

Your page is longer than 600pixels, so the browser needs to place a vertical scroll bar. The vertical scroll bar uses some of the 800pixel window space for itself, therefore a horizontal scroll bar is created to allow you to see the content that is hidden by the vertical scroll bar

You must account for this when creating a page which is longer than the vertical resolution of any monitor.

My toolbar showed 792pix width when resized to 800x600
    This is with scroll bar included,so it must be about 20pix less.

** Steve,you beat me to the punch again

Hans

Gotcha's, thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Well the <iframe> placeholder code works fine, but not on your PC. Why that is I can't tell because I can't repeat the problem here on any of my systems, so clearly the problem is caused by some other mishandling.

Your two screenshots show javascript errors (invalid character or object expected) which isn't part of the <iframe> placeholder code or the full screen YouTube URL (link) in the .web file.
    nickydudes shows the same javascript error.
    It might be the way your IE is handling the loading of the YouTube video, as you say - it works for you in FF, so clearly not a WD problem.

Have a look at How to troubleshoot script errors in Internet Explorer 6 and in Internet Explorer 7.
    Clearly, the problem is with the installation/settings of my IE because when I change user account the YouTube links are working fine. I completely uninstalled IE7 and reinstalled & updated it, I emptied IE's cache, and I followed all other directions given in your Microsoft Tech link. But to no avail.

So, I have not been able to find the problem, but I want to thank you for all your help anyhow. Thanks!

I also get an error message as Boy did. I get the same error when using FrontPage's (ver. 2002) preview tab if I have a site with a Xara Webstyle Nav Bar. Vista 64bit Home Premium, all updated. In FrontPage, the Nav Bar isn't visible in either normal tab or preview tab. I gave up trying to correct the problem there. Here's what I see in XWD:

http://www.michiganimaging.com/media/capture039.jpg http://www.michiganimaging.com/media/capture040.jpg

Very neat, but when I change one of your links to different YouTube video, the new video doesn't fit correctly in the video (placeholder) window.

Not all YT Vids are wide screen / 720p (16:9 ratio). Many are still the older 4:3 ratio.
    You will need to adjust your placeholder to fit those accordingly.
    But you will note that YouTube uses a default widescreen player window too, so 4:3 ratio vids to not fill their player windows either.

Steve,
    Thanks for the explanation.
    BQ