Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default [Suggestion] Implementing H1 Headings without coding

Hello,

so here is a suggesition how easy a H1, H2 Heading can be implemented in the program only if you want to - the basic and individual formatings for each H1, H2...entry should be made in the Web Properties window and it should be then directly implemented in the program like both graphics showing.

Michael
    Last edited by Soquili; 31 March 2009 at 12:29 AM.
    IP

Default Re: [Suggestion] Implementing H1 Headings without coding

AbsoLUTEly!

This is an essential asset to ANY program calling itself a "Web Design" application. Especially nowadays, if it's trying to conform to the html/css WC3 web standards. We NEED to have specific, valid Web standards design control over all text used in a Website.

I'm glad you brought this up Michael. This is a MUST DO for the first program update.

Nice catch.

Mark...
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I think this is an excellent idea too. It would be very intuitive way to apply some pre-defined properties and seems that the WYSIWYG goals could be maintained.

Regards, Ross
    IP

Brilliant! I support this.

Tom
    IP

Well I really do not want to get into the argument about HTML structure (suffice to say John is completely right), but until someone can show any merit or any benefit at all in having H1 tags, this is not something we'd offer.

Why would we start complicating the product with some technical gubbins that few people will understand, especially when it has no actual benefit?

I agree that it would be nice to have more powerful text Style control in Xtreme and Web Designer, but that's really a completely separate issue, and one day we'll add it.
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    I agree that it would be nice to have more powerful text Style control in Xtreme and Web Designer, but that's really a completely separate issue...
    I'm sorry but I thought "text style control" was Michael was proposing. As I understood his suggestion the various text styles associated with the pull-down would be specified in options and they'd then be exported as part of the style sheet. Then in Xara-WD when you could easily apply that "style" to subsequent selections knowing you are keeping things consistent. To me its not about the whole "clean" html stuff but about convenience and the intuitiveness of the interface.

Regards, Ross
    IP

Sure, OK. Text Styles will appear in Xtreme / WD one day. As usual there's a ton of things on our wish list still.
    IP

There is a huge conceptual difference between the styles concept as it is commonly accepted in the typesetting and design world and the header levels implemented in html. Styled concept is based on the full customisability, html is not. Just as in most other aspects, html inventors tried to mock up something good, but as usually screwed it up due to their limited understanding of the concept and/or simplification of the implementation. For example, as we are talking about headers, there are only 6 strictly sequential levels allowed.
    Later, some heavy artillery expansion of the html (popularly known as CSS) added huge amount of doubling functionality together with redundant expressiveness, some new ambiguities and open holes in possibilities here and there. But the headers left as they were, plain dumb and ridiculously outdated. While they could add an CSS attribute for the structured level of the element, they didn't. So now, the html is proudly named of being structured if it has header elements. Great for headers. But what about the paragraph text? Illustrations? What level they belong too? W3C can't give you an answer. To the last header probably... Well, this is not how structuring is done. Even RTF is ages ahead, though it is actually an older format.
    Sorry for my rant, but I think not everyone understand how utterly bad html actually is. All I said is just a tiny microscopic piece of this enormous hype of misconceptions commonly called html.
    John.
    IP

Yes, but what do you think of HTML covoxer?.. ;-)
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Yes, but what do you think of HTML covoxer?.. ;-)
    What do you mean?
    John.
    IP