Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Question for Soquili or sledger

Hi Folks:

I am using your XaReg utility for Designer and have turned on the backup function.

Issue is this. I need to use both XaraPro and Web to develop prototype templates for Designer (I am creating stretchy objects). However, they both generate the same backup extension so I can't determine one from another if I have to recover a file.....Is there a way to change one of their extensions or do something like .xar.bak and .web.bak ? ...I guess I could use two different directories, but I was hoping for a better method.

I realize .Web and .Xar basically the same format, but .Web files from Designer must have different info in their header because they generate an Error dialog when opened in XaraPro4.

Regards, John
    IP

Default Re: Question for Soquillie or SLedger

Hi John,

The file extension is not determined by XaReg only the ability to enable or disable the creation of .bak files by toggeling a value in a registry key.

Xtreme and Web Designer are probably hard coded to use a .bak file extension because I can not find a registry entry that specifies what the extension will be.

You could use separate directories (folders for those not familiar with the term directories . Or use a slight modification to how you name the files when you first save them.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Default Re: Question for Soquili or sledger

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    I realize .Web and .Xar basically the same format, but .Web files from Designer must have different info in their header because they generate an Error dialog when opened in XaraPro4.
    Actually .xar and .web are exactly the same. The error dialog is due to WD's .web version being a newer version of the format. Xtreme 4 is obviously not forwards compatible, just as any Xtreme 4 created .xar file will display a similar error dialog when opened in Xtreme 3 or earlier.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 07 March 2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: grammar
    IP

Default Re: Question for Soquili or sledger

Bill and Steve,

Thanks for trying.

J
    IP