Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Repel Text playing up

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Ctrl+Shift+W (thumb/pinkie/forefinger
    Interesting how different we are. I do it pinkie/ring-finger/forefinger.

Yes, the problem is that JPG can't have transparency so the overlapped text is rendered in to image. So if you need overlapping text under image, use any of the recommended finger combinations and force it to be PNG.
    John.
    IP

Red face Re: Repel Text playing up

being an old martial artist I use elbow/knee/forehead....
    IP

Interesting how different we are.
    Depends how well you do the Vulcan salute I guess

The Xtreme 4 html export (always exported as PNG unless given the name JPEG) mind-set is the problem for anyone migrating from Xtreme 4 to Web Designer for their WYSIWYG web designs.

People new to Xara software via Web Designer shouldn't be affected in this way.
    However I might suggest a mechanism whereby any photo which is clipped, particularly where the shape is irregular, be forced to export as PNG rather than following the JPG-in / JPG-out default condition.

Roger: LOL!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Tao jones View Post
    being an old martial artist I use elbow/knee/forehead....
    John.
    IP

As John pointed out this is not bug, you have a semi-transparent bitmap on top of some text, and that bitmap is being exported as a JPEG. JPEGs can't do transparency. so force it to a PNG in the Web Properties dialog, Image tab. No need to manually convert it to a PNG.

The system is automatic most of the time, but not always, and a clipped JPEG is one example where we just can't tell whether it should be a JPEG or PNG, so you have to give us a hint.

There is a downside to converting photos to PNGs, and that's file size, and this is mainly why we do not do this automatically. You might have this image over other graphics or plain background and in that case a JPG is fine and preferable. It's only when over some text that it's not, and then it depends on things like its repel margin, and how irregular it is.

There is a work-around, that allows you to have both a JPEG (put the image under the text) and repel the text around it (put a 'mask' image' above the text and make that repelling, then set it to be 99% transparent). This way the almost completely invisible mask is doing the repelling, but the image itself can be a JPEG and can be under the text. Soft Group them together and now it acts like a single repelling object.

BTW Tao, that's a beautiful website.
    IP

OK not strictly a bug as Xara expect this, but I don't think it is expected by the majority of users who are thrilled to have text repeling available to them in their designs. As shown by Roger, the result was unexpected and unitially unfathomable and, as mentioned, anyone with prior-learning from Xtreme's handling of the same thing can be caught out..
    From a users pov, there needs to be something more obvious about the effect an intersected irregularly shaped jpg photo, which is set to repel text under, will have on the final output.
    IP

I too noticed that an popup image I was using had some text around it after exporting. This is good to know and I'll add it to the guide.
    IP

OT

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Depends how well you do the Vulcan salute I guess
    It appears that I use at least 3 different finger combinations for this short cut! I would never suspect I do.
    pinkey/ring-finger/forfinger
    thumb/ring-finger/middle finger
    thumb/ring-finger/forefinger

Interesting.
    John.
    IP

I don't use any fingers at all.
    IP

i find using just the one finger can usually repel most people!!
    Regards
    Neil
    IP