Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired

Default Retired

Now that WebStyle is retired, how long will the templates be available? I purchased them all, however they are not on my CD, only available via downloading them. I hope the program will continue to be supported for some time, because I format my machine often and reinstall my aps. Without being able to download the templates would make my purchase worthless. I have Web Designer now and it has downloadable templates, which I liked.

Default Re: Retired

You could save your downloaded templates to some form of removeable media - floppy disc, cd rom, pen drive, external hard drive etc.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

So if I back up my template directory and reinstall next time, and just copy them into the template directory they will work?

I have never tried that myself so I cannot say it will or will not work.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I haven't tried what you are suggesting (I don't use Webstyle) - ie backing up your templates directory, but saving your original downloaded files in the way I suggested should mean that you can reinstall them after a format.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Bob I am not sure that would work. I believe there is an update to the registry when a template pack is downloaded and automatically installed. It is an automated process done from within Webstyle. No external action is required by the user. Simply click on icon in Webstyle and it finds what template packs you have purchased by checking your Xara Account. It downloads, installs, and updates the registry.

I do not know what time frame Xara Group Ltd plans to maintain the downloads for the Webstyle template packs.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

That seems a bit off, Bill. I don't doubt your information for a second, what I mean is that it's a bit Microsoftian if that is the case, on the part of Xara. It looks like Webstyle becomes obsolete as a result of any potential removal of support for the program.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Many posts in this forum have mentioned how 'out of date' Webstyle has become in the 5 years since it was released. No updates were made to the program itself. Tempate packs were released but only 5 of them as the last was several years ago.

Since Webstyle was released there have been changes to web standards and to Dreamweaver and FrontPage (FrontPage itself was discontinued by Microsoft a few years ago, I think in 2005). Newer versions of Dreamweaver would not work with the initial extension provided with Webstyle. About a year ago a newer extension update was made to support Dreamweaver CS3. Dreamweaver CS4 has been released since that time.

It was about time for Webstyle to be retired or updated. Web Designer is in my opinon the best solution, so Webstyle is retired. The navbars and menus created in Webstyle and MenuMaker can be used by placeholder. This means any older sites can be updated with the code (w3c complient) and use the original navbar and menu if desired.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I know but I just purchased WebStyle with all 5 template packs in Nov, Xtreme in Dec, and now WebDesigner in March. Now my WebStyle which was the easiest program to use is no longer supported or sold. I just want what I paid for the template packs in particular. How do I back them up in case I need to format?

Does anyone from Xara read this forum and can answer this? Or offer a refund for the program and/or template packs since you can't get them anymore? I don't want anything for free. I purchased Xtreme 4 and Web Designer because of their power but WebStyle was still the easiest program to use to make Navbars. It takes a lot of time in the other 2 to make them. They are better of course, but they are not quicker to make.

pjiv I would assume that the templates will be available for download for a considerable time. You could ask your question by placing a ticket with http://support.xara.com
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update