Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: shape question

Default shape question

Hi All,

I have a closed shape with a line width of 5pix. I need the fill but not the line. If I turn the line off then the fill extends to where the center-line of the line was. I need the fill to remain at the inner edge of the line so that it fits within the boundaries of another shape. I hope I'm stating this clearly.

How to do this?

Thanks,

mg

Default Re: shape question

Lines are not outlines, they are centered at the edge of the fill. So yes, when you remove the line, the fill is shown to the point where the centre of the line was.
    Simply resize the shape from the info bar to allow for this.

I just tried this and I think it worked.

#1) you have a shape with a 5 pt line.
    #2) Copy this shape
    #3) remove the line from the shape
    #4) paste shape in place
    #5) Select no fill (transparent)
    #6) Convert line to shape
    #7) select both shapes and subtract

Thanks for the quick responses.

Sledger, the resize options didn't work because the shape has multiple curves on the bottom edge and I can't get a info bar shrink operation to uniformly shrink it, even with the aspect ratio locked. It isn't a perfect fit.

Burpee, I get an error message that says "shape combining operation failed to create a result".

Any other options?

I also tried to search for a past post but didn't find anything, even though I thought I'd seen this addressed before. (that Captcha thing is VERY annoying)

Edit: Sorry Burpee, it did work. I had not converted the line to a shape since when I selected the line the Status Line said "One shape selected". So I thought why convert it to a shape when it says it's already a shape? But after going ahead and converting the shape to a shape it worked as you said.

Thanks.

mg
    Last edited by mg.architect; 06 March 2009 at 06:27 PM.

EDIT: Burpee beat me to it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I got something right...how about that? Glad I could help.

Sledger's right about the lines and I believe there's a workbook page about it. I remember reading or viewing a tutorial on how the lines work and work-arounds.

mg, Burpee's methods probably the best (although converting line to shape often creates a lot of unwanted nodes) an alternative method is to use the Contour tool, apply a 2.5 pixel inner bevel and hit the inset path icon.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Oh how cool. Thanks Egg. I just tried it and works great.

Egg,
    Thank-you for the additional suggestion.
    mg

XXP always has more than one way to skin a cat
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host