Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default The WD HTML structure furore

Part 1:
    There is a really interesting debate going on at the moment on these forums over the structure of the code generated by Xara’s WD HTML export.

From the coder’s point of view, the tag soup HTML is not very useful if you want to edit the code or make use of it elsewhere. From the WYSIWYG point of view, the code structure is irrelevant and what is seen and experienced by the user at design time and in browsers is all that’s important.

Web Designer (WD) was designed to approach the creation of websites differently to the historical method of hand coding or editing HTML text; it was intended to allow maximally-precise WYSIWYG creation of websites using a graphical interface and without having to know or see any HTML code at all, thereby modernising and maturing the creation of websites and making it possible for the masses. The design is such that any edits to HTML are thus to be done in WD and not an HTML editor. This of course limits the HTML output to only what WD can support in this version.

It seems to ensure maximum WYSIWYG output, of many tried methods of HTML code structure, the one implemented produced the most similar results in browsers to what was seen in WD, thereby satisfying WYSIWYG criteria better. The code structure is very different from how it would look if hand coded and, as a consequence, is much less well formatted or layout-efficient, and is the primary cause for complaint by coders. Most modern websites are graphics dominated than text dominated; the additional overhead this different and less efficient HTML structure brings is very small in terms of what is measured at download time in such common graphics-dominated situations, with the time taken to download a typical HTML file being less than the time taken to download even the smallest single graphic image. Therefore this additional overhead is not a valid criticism of WD’s HTML code structure choice.

If the user is only ever to use WD to make graphics dominated websites (which applies to the majority of the target audience) then the internal HTML structure is completely and utterly irrelevant. Given that this is only what WD was designed for, the criticisms by coders about the HTML structure are completely invalid when placed in context. It seems as though coders are complaining about the code simply because it’s different and relatively inefficient (but immeasurably practically so at browse time), but totally failing to appreciate the situation—which is the new approach to website making within the limits of the goals of WD. I've seen no evidence that the code structure is in any way significantly worse than if coded by hand from an observer’s point of view when viewing the page in a browser.

Text heavy sites may be a different story however, it may be argued; the tag-soup overhead may increase substantially to increase HTML file sizes. But this is unlikely to be so significant as to cause browsing problems; my own website is extremely text heavy (tens of thousands of words—far bigger than most text heavy sites I’d bet, and only 10% complete) with pretty large HTML files as far as HTML file sizes go, yet the site loads very fluidly, confirming my point completely.

The hostility to the WD generated HTML seems to stem from the unique history of HTML; unlike say the analogue of not hand coding PDF document layout anymore (if at all), coding HTML has always had a set-in-stone approach of hacking HTML at a textual level. When such familiarity is subjected to (innovative) change whereby something familiar has to be relearned, such that there's an initial shred of effort required to get the same results until the new process is learned, there is bound to be resistance. But it’s also the apparent rape of the familiar ‘art’ of HTML hacking that coders seem to be having personal issues with, causing the furore, rather than there being any measurable substance to the criticisms. The code is different and less efficient (artistic), therefore it’s deemed bad, but this totally misses the point of the new approach, which is HTML editing entirely within WD without ever seeing code at all.

If WD’s code isn’t suitable for subsequent editing (going against the whole point of using WD to generate it), then don’t use WD to create the code—it’s so easy. Xara have even alluded to this by devoting a part of the marketing section of their website to the benefits WD can offer to ‘professional’ website makers (a.k.a. old fashioned died-in-the-wool code-head HTML hackers), by allowing working, dynamic mock-ups instead of static Photoshop mock-ups.
    IP

Default Re: The WD HTML structure furore

Part 2:
    In defence of the coders I’d say that WD is not yet a total substitute for HTML coding by hand, not for the nonsensical, and utterly irrelevant, foundationless reasons presented so far, but because of the relatively limited functionality; HTML editing can produce any kind of website, WD is mostly suited for graphics heavy websites that the masses produce. Xara are surely aware of this and have probably even talked about its limitations somewhere. But this is version 1, and it’s early days. (Incidentally I mentioned this ‘just-released-and-thus-not-as-feature-rich-as-future-versions’ fact to someone recently and Xara was then accused of doing a ‘Microsoft-esque’ ‘beta’ releasing of full products, which is of course nonsense given that this is a finished, fully working product capable of doing exactly what it says on the tin). In sympathy for the coders: ideally, a second export type could be developed for future versions (or even for Xtreme) which exports in a format coders prefer albeit less WYSIWYG, granting the best of both worlds and reducing the whingeing. This kind of thinking, and approach to constructive criticism is likely to be far more productive and conducive to getting what is desired.

Anyway, this summary is likely only going to be preaching to the choir, but I guess the responses will tell. Oh and just a disclaimer in case I'm walking on eggshells: my polite, albeit passionate post was intended to be an expression of an evidence-supported opinion and not intended to offend or flame so please don’t interpret it that way if your opinion is different. I shouldn’t have had to have said that, but well…you know…sensitive topic it seems.
    Last edited by Xhris; 06 March 2009 at 06:00 AM.
    IP

I'm not sure if this thread is a statement or a rant at WD criticism!

You have some good points there, but the frustration at WD critics of the HTML generated code is understandable but misses a few points.

For inexperienced web developers (=main target audience) it's not obvious without an understanding of HTML (which WD sidesteps, to it's credit) why WD doesn't behave like other web editors - after all it's human nature to home in on the downside (yes WD has downsides) and forget the substantial benefits. Without some HTML knowledge people can't appreciate that the WYSIWYG nature of WD is at the expense of producing HTML code that would be frowned upon professional web developers and compromises interoperability with other technologies (for example in dreamweaver my designs can include blocks of text that could automatically be replaced by other content by using the design as a template and replacing a text block with data from a content management system - something that the WD generated HTML makes virtually impossible).

WD also produces designs that are of fixed size, making it totally unsuitable for liquid layouts - not a coders lament, but a designers lament.

Lastly, in terms of accessibility the output from WD is not really friendly to screenreaders and the like.

I make these points (as others have) not to take away from the great program that WD is, but to say that while WD is great at what it does, it achieves it's goals by compromising support for things that may be important to some, particularly in a corporate/business/technical environment.

WD is a great program and many will find it ideal for their websites and at the least others will find it great for prototyping web layouts.

Paul
    IP

Yes, the WD also can't do your home work, cook, dump the trash and pay your taxes.

Why all the criticism is based on things that WD is not supposed to do? Do we advertise it of being able to create dynamic designs? Is it priced too high with curent functionality? Be objective please. Thank you.
    John.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    ...while WD is great at what it does, it achieves it's goals by compromising support for things that may be important to some, particularly in a corporate/business/technical environment...
    Yes this is a good point which I acknowledged above on behalf of coder criticisms in paragraph 1 of part 2 (regarding limitations contrasting with design goals for WD version 1), but it is addressed in the last paragraph of part 1.

I'd bet that eventually when the WYSIWYG approach can simulate everything HTML coding can do, it will become the dominant approach to website making given its superiority in speed, WYSIWYG design and fewer pre-requisites (HTML knowledge) (analogously to what happened to the process of text editing, and PDF generation which is entirely WYSIWYG now and never coded). Until this time though, the coders are somewhat right in their criticisms of WD's lack of functionality, but not really for the poorer (almost petty--or at least pettily presented) reasons we've seen so far, such as size overhead problems and that the code structure is merely different (rather than the consequences of being different)

This conclusion is being echoed quite a lot now (at least by me); it's hard to think of any new arguments for either side at the moment. I think just waiting to see how the WYSIWYG approach develops in spite of the criticisms (constructively) presented above is the best thing to do now rather than further repetition of the same arguments.
    IP

John... I think Xara Web Designer is an absolute snip at the price considering what you get for your money. Things like a flash form generator or a photo gallery can cost almost as much for one module, so I don't see where people can grumble about XWD. If, as one might expect, an updated release that incorporates some of the things people are asking for comes along in the not too distant future at small cost or (better still, a free upgrade), great! In the interim, while you're beavering away, making it happen, I'll bet the competition are busy trying to figure out how to emulate XWD's text flow around objects.

As I've said before, I teach web design using a WYSIWYG product to 15-16 year olds, the course specifications state quite clearly that ANY web authoring tool can be used as long as it's not an export from a word processing (Word) or publishing program (Publisher)... so I could quite happily use XWD if we had it in college.

In the early days of the internet, HTML authoring programs were all there were, they've got a big head start, but WYSIWYG is the accepted norm for most anyone but industry professionals. It would be interesting to be having this debate in five years time.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"
    IP

Lastly, in terms of accessibility the output from WD is not really friendly to screenreaders and the like.
    In what way? Unless the text is converted to graphics before exporting to html or ALT tags are not filled in (which they can be), it is not clear to me why this should be the case.
    IP

Screen readers such as Opera's 'Speak' feature, pause at the end of each line </DIV> causing unintended and awkward punctuation to a passage.
    Otherwise it works fine.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Yes, the WD also can't do your home work, cook, dump the trash and pay your taxes.

Why all the criticism is based on things that WD is not supposed to do? Do we advertise it of being able to create dynamic designs? Is it priced too high with curent functionality? Be objective please. Thank you.
    LOL, the problem is that the inexperienced (in html terms) users love what WD can do (rightly so) and have expectations from other software that it works like a web editor (after all it makes web pages).

How can an inexperienced user tell what WD is "not supposed to do"? Does it list those things in the advertising?

I think WD is a great program with great features, but limitations when used "for what it's not supposed to do". I would say that I'm completely objective.

If you want WD for what it does well you will be very happy with WD. If it's bought for "what it's not supposed to do" you will be frustrated. It's perfectly reasonable for people to ask about doing things when they don't understand what WD is not meant to do.

Paul
    IP

LOL, the problem is that the inexperienced (in html terms) users love what WD can do (rightly so) and have expectations from other software that it works like a web editor (after all it makes web pages).
    Now is there a problem? You are trying to protect interests of people who are actually happy with this software and it's limitations. Is it so that most unexperienced users need dynamic sites? Looking at current www I can't say so. There are quite a lot of static commercial sites of the large companies. Never mind the smaller ones, and personal/family sites. Obviously, this is enough for many unexperienced users. Others will not use WD but appropriate tools.
    How can an inexperienced user tell what WD is "not supposed to do"? Does it list those things in the advertising?
    If it's not clear from advertising (where wysiwyg is metioned quite often), then there is manual, this forum and 30 day trial for every one interested to figure out what WD can do.
    I think WD is a great program with great features, but limitations when used "for what it's not supposed to do".
    Every software has limitations in functionality. This desn't make it bad.
    I would say that I'm completely objective.
    I don't think so. Why? Because you express what you would like it to be, as if it is what it was meant to be, but somehow it was screwed up. It wasn't. This version of WD was not developed for dynamic layouts.
    If it's bought for "what it's not supposed to do" you will be frustrated.
    Well, we have 30 days trial, don't we? Do you by anything, especially software, if you don't know if it suits your needs? I believe you don't. And I don't think that all the unexperienced users do.
    It's perfectly reasonable for people to ask about doing things when they don't understand what WD is not meant to do.
    Yes. They ask, we answer. Don't we? But how the criticism can help? Who can it help?
    For example, you say that absence of support for dynamic layouts is bad. But is it? Is the price of the WD good? Would it be just as good for everyone, especially those who are perfectly happy with static designs only, if it was much higher because of more functionality added? You can't be sure here, right? So, good or bad, everyone has to decide for them self.

One more thing, there are many people buying WD without reading manual or otherwise understanding its limits. But that's only because the features they have seen on demo movies are already worth paying this price. They will not be disappointed to find out limitations in the capabilities that already excess their expectations.

Of course there are exceptions, some people may get something wrong, like some may expect it to be just an ordinary authoring tool with some advanced features. This can't be avoided. But the wast majority seems to get it right.
    John.
    IP