Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Error 6

Default Error 6

Have tried a few things but still can't get Web Designer to install on my desktop. It keeps coming up with "Error 6" on the warning screen.

I'm running a pretty old AMD processor, 512 Mb Ram, XP Pro SP2. I don't have any exotic software running protecting the registry and my anti virus (AVG) only runs when I ask it to. All other Xara products run fine. I've tried numerous times, to default directories and other drives, but it still fails to run.

Any ideas what else I could try? Thanks.
    IP

Default Re: Error 6

Hi Colin, can you upload a screenshot please so we can try and see when the error is occuring?
    IP

This is the error message I get when I try to run Web Designer after installation. There's also one of those screens that comes up when trying to install the programme that offers to send the error report to MicroSoft. I believe there's a text file that is generated accordingly and I can send that if it's any help. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Error-6.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	57149  
    IP

Thanks Colin. We will create a support ticket for you and contact you directly in order to investigate this problem further.
    IP

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem and has worked out how to overcome it? Tech support have been very helpful, but this PC seems to have something strange about it that Web Designer doesn't like. It installs fine on my laptop, so it's probably something set up differently on the desktop that's causing the grief.

I've completely removed AVG antivirus and Zone Alarm, but nothing seems to make a difference.

One thing I did notice is that when WebDesigner starts up, it asks me if I want it to be the default programme for WEB files. If I click yes, then it tells me that I don't have enough rights to do this, and yet the User Accounts section in Control Panel tells me that I do (as shown on the attached graphic).

All advice gratefully accepted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.gif 
Views:	193 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	57479  
    IP

Try right-clicking ont he icon and select "Run as Admin". I had a similar problem (not with WD) and I also was an admin as I am the only one using the computer.
    Last edited by nickydude; 12 March 2009 at 04:17 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by nickydude View Post
    Try right-clicking ont he icon and select "Run as Admin". I had a similar problem (not with WD) and I also was an admin as I am the only one using the computer.
    If I right click and select Run as .... Administrator (the system administrator) then it won't let me do it as it says that blank passwords are not allowed or similar .... anyone know the password for the default system Administrator?
    IP

Cracked it .... created another user with admin rights and a password, logged out, logged back in as the new user, installed the software, and everything now works fine regardless of which user I log in as....
    IP