Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Audio Files

Default Audio Files

I have a website where I store mp3 files for members of a password protected website to download.

I cannot see any feature for doing this upload to a folder on the host server.

I also cannot see any way of listening to audio files. Must I convert to flash and embed as a flash movie?
    Last edited by WillieN; 05 March 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    IP

Default Re: Audio Files

I don't know if this will work but http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/audio.html has a method for embedding mp3 files into a webpage. You should be able to just put the object entity in step 6 into the placeholder dialog.

If this doesn't work try Googling "embed audio files website", which had the above link as the first hit.
    IP

This is an Xara Webstyle page: http://www.hhtc.org.uk/radio/index.html which we use to make mp3's of the college radio club available via the net (at the moment!!!). It's very easy to use the same Web Jukebox software( http://www.coffeecup.com/web-jukebox/ ) in Xara Web Designer and then use a .htaccess file to password protect the folder that the mp3's are in. You don't say if you want people to just listen to and/or download the mp3's.

Some of the later Webstyle templates were all CSS and incorporating the audio files needed a bit of HTML knowledge but with XWD it's going to be so much quicker... just add the HTML code in a placeholder and off you go.

The downside is that the Jukebox software costs $34 and when you compare it to what you get for your $49 worth of Xara WD, it makes you realise just what a good buy web designer is!
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"
    IP

Thanks for all these suggestions. I can embed audio files using flash or WMA players for listening, but I want people to be able to download the files, listening is not so important. I use Namo Webeditor at present, and it is easy with that.

The reason for using WD is to improve the design as Namo means I have to be creative!!
    IP

Woody,

I like what you've done on this web page.

I'm wondering if a Template could be developed for a web page with a similar structure. Could the basic code be saved in the template?
    IP

The Webstyle template used has excellent, commented CSS so that was like reading a book but to actually reproduce the whole thing in XWD would be pretty simple and far, far quicker for someone like me who has to engage their brain when using code. The audio/video components are just the generated HTML copied and pasted into a placeholder that's been sized to accomodate them.

I sometimes use WYSIWYG Web Builder (http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/), which is good value and could be used to create a WYSIWYG clone of more or less the look of any site but XWD, the new kid on the block is going to be a serious contender once people figure out how to extend its capabilities with external modules. Certainly I'm not going to use XXP4 to make my graphics for WWB when it can all be handled in XWD and being graphically more appealing... it's like making a Photoshop mock-up that works!
    Last edited by w00dy; 05 March 2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Corrigenda
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"
    IP