Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara Web Designer Vs Serif Web Plus X2

Url?

well Steve, I may be labouring under an awful misapprehension here, but I was rather under the impression they all had one of those.... so yes [and just for you I double-checked]

thank you for asking
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think you know what I was asking

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    However, my website is a portfolio site - the work is what counts not the site, and for this I've always found Serif excellent

WebPlus X2 is a great programme and the user forum is a brilliant place to learn about the product. WPX2 is easier to use for things like iFrames as the programme has placeholders where you click for the various options unlike XWD where you have to insert code. I use coffeecup form designer and that's easy to use with both programmes, in fact probably easier with XWD as I just saved the files to the publish directory on my hard drive and they get published at the same time to my server.
    You also get the options to use forms which are handled from the Serif servers so there isn't really any need to use another programme. I just prefer coffeecup as I've used it for years. It's flash though which might put some off?
    Some of the templates in WPX2 are rubbish, but there's one or two gems and every one can be altered. Also, the navigation creation is automatic and very easy to adjust for drop down boxes etc.
    I think there's a place for both programmes, and now I'm starting to discover more about XWD I'm finding I like to use the programme.
    Netobjects 11 on the other hand is sitting gathering dust. Templates going back years and they look it. Non existent support so avoid imho.

I'm also very impressed with the support I've received in the XWD forum and for me that's also a consideration when buying stuff.
    Roxio comes to mind as how not to do it. There are some on that forum who have major attitude problem's. Sad people.

lastly, Serif have a 30 day returns policy so you can try before you can buy.

I'm new to the forum and new to the product. I'm actually trying to evaluate both XWD and WPX2.

From my very uneducated view at this point, it looks to me like XWD is better when integrated graphics abilities are needed but perhaps WPX2 is better at integrating some important features without programming. [The Smart Objects for forms, e-commerce, forum, etc.]

I wish XWD had something similar to the Smart Objects.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankR View Post
    I wish XWD had something similar to the Smart Objects.
    Placeholders are pretty smart

And Welcome to TG Frank

Wink Re: Xara Web Designer Vs Serif Web Plus X2

Just a note that I no longer use Serif WebPlus x2, Xtreme 5 is killer --- and I doubt that x3 will be able to compete - Serif will need to combine Webplus with Pageplus 5...(4 just came out and looks pretty good) to compete.

I own Designer Pro 6 and Serif WDX4. The only area where Serif wins is in the fact that they have included everything needed to build online forms without having to resort to placeholder code or third party software like CoffeeCup (which I own as well.) Someone at Xara should get a copy of the Serif X4, dissect it, and take ideas to make Xara the top of the line product on the market. Then they should get as much JQuery to add in to sweeten the pot without placeholders.

Just downloaded the demo of WYSIWYG Web Builder 7 and let me just say... that program is loaded! Including JQuery!!! Looks very promising, but I'm so comfortable with Xara, don't feel like learning yet another program.

Info Re: Xara Web Designer Vs Serif Web Plus X2

I have been playing with WYSIWYG Web Builder 7 and I am blown away at the tools available. I put together a quick site at http://southwestmedicalsales.net just to see what I could do in a short time. Nothing fancy, just 30 minutes worth of work. I mostly wanted to see how well the built in form controls worked and it was a breeze. Plus designing the links to open up everything in a named iframe was just as easy. This program has everything WD6 is missing and should have standard.

I still prefer Xara for everything, but I have to remain open minded to tools that make certain jobs easier, and I really just wanted to try it out.

Did I mention that it saves your CSS and JavaScript files separately?
    Last edited by Pixelpusher; 14 July 2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add text