Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

In the Xara X forum I had posted a cropping example. In that example I didn't apply the new feathering feature. I wondered if it would improve the graphic. The attached shows what happens when a slight feathering is applied. Its use certainly means you don't have to be as careful "cropping" around the bitmapped filled shape with the shape editor tool - that's a plus. On the down side, notice how the feathering is applied to the entire perimeter of the shape. The boy's shirt was feathered along the bottom and left sides which then looks wrong. I suppose I could have worked around this aspect of feathering by having the shape with the boy bitmap, extend beyond the edges of the background by at least as many pixels as the feathering. That over-extended area could then be masked out by another shape. (In this case filled with white and no outline). While that kind of workaround would work in this particular graphic I can imagine it not being so easy in others.

Has anyone played around with feathering enough to have some insights into using it effectively?

Thanks, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feather.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	12164  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

In the Xara X forum I had posted a cropping example. In that example I didn't apply the new feathering feature. I wondered if it would improve the graphic. The attached shows what happens when a slight feathering is applied. Its use certainly means you don't have to be as careful "cropping" around the bitmapped filled shape with the shape editor tool - that's a plus. On the down side, notice how the feathering is applied to the entire perimeter of the shape. The boy's shirt was feathered along the bottom and left sides which then looks wrong. I suppose I could have worked around this aspect of feathering by having the shape with the boy bitmap, extend beyond the edges of the background by at least as many pixels as the feathering. That over-extended area could then be masked out by another shape. (In this case filled with white and no outline). While that kind of workaround would work in this particular graphic I can imagine it not being so easy in others.

Has anyone played around with feathering enough to have some insights into using it effectively?

Thanks, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>