Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Can't Export HTML!

Actually the dialog box doesn't close. It just hangs there. And I also check the folders the files are designated to go to and...nothing.

In the last couple of hours, short of wiping my hard drive, I've tried almost everything to figure this out. Have uninstalled and re-installed the program x3 as well.

I haven't yet purchased the program yet, but is it possible HTML export is not available with the trial version?

Have submitted a ticket to Xara support so it will be interesting to hear their suggestions.

Cheers

The way I’ve got it to work, is to make a new folder, then using notepad, I create a blank index.html file. I then tell Webdesign to export the site and select the blank index.html file. Webdesign warns me it will replace the file which it duly does and adds all the other files. Isn’t life interesting!

It's good you've come up with a workable solution.

Thing is though, we shouldn't have to rack our brains trying to get this to work. Like Xtreme 4 Pro, it should simply be a matter of clicking the Export tab and hey presto, you've got your HTML files.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet As View Post
    It's good you've come up with a workable solution.

Thing is though, we shouldn't have to rack our brains trying to get this to work. Like Xtreme 4 Pro, it should simply be a matter of clicking the Export tab and hey presto, you've got your HTML files.

Cheers
    Yes, sure it does. And if it doesn't we are to make it so.
    John.

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

We need more information about this problem to help us investigate. So here are some questions:

Gerver: Above you imply that you have seen exactly the same problem as reported by Sweet As, with no error messages. Is that correct?

Sweet As:
    What Windows version are you running?
    When you click on the Export button, what exactly happens? Does the program hang completely and stop responding? Or can you cancel the export dialog and continue using it?

What is shown on the status line at the bottom of the WD window after you click Export?
    Perhaps you could send a full screenshot that shows the whole WD window just after you've clicked export.

Please can you try the workaround that Gerver suggested. Create an empty file "index.htm" with Notepad and then when you export, select the file to overwrite it. Do you get the overwrite warning?

Thanks for your help and apologies for so many questions!

Neil
    Xara

Gerver: Above you imply that you have seen exactly the same problem as reported by Sweet As, with no error messages. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct, but oddly I've stopped getting the overwrite warning !

Info Re: Can't Export HTML!

I had the same problem this morning exporting a page to an empty folder.

My page name was "conditions". I changed the page name to index and then everything exported fine to the empty folder.

There is a definite problem here John and Neil.

It appears that by changing the name of the page that whatever is stopping the page from exporting is removed.

To reproduce this "feature".

Export to a folder. If the export is successful, delete the files from the folder and reexport to that folder.

Nothing happens.

I implemented Gerver's recommendation. That is, I created a blank HTML file in an empty folder and overwrote the empty file. It worked and there was no overwrite warning.

To answer to your questions NeilH, running windowsxp, when trying to export HTML through the normal route, nothing happens when I click on the export box, it just hangs there. I then close the dialog box by clicking on the check box.

Cheers
    Last edited by Sweet As; 05 March 2009 at 04:28 PM.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    To reproduce this "feature".

Export to a folder. If the export is successful, delete the files from the folder and reexport to that folder.

Nothing happens.
    I can't reproduce this 'feature' Gary.

One thing I do notice. If you press the 'Export' button on the toolbar, the name index is already entered in the file name field, but if you export via Ctrl+Shift+E or File>>Export the name field is blank.