Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs up What I'd like to see in Web Designer

A bit premature I know but rather than having umpteen threads about what you'd like to see in Web Designer, perhaps you could include them here so Xara have one compact place to see what customers are after. Ok I'll start.

• To right click on an object and 'lock' that particular object from being edited. I'm aware that you can turn off layers from being edited but not 1 particular object on that layer, for example a rectangle covering the page.

• When right clicking in text mode, the ability to 'Select All' text.

IP

Default Re: What I'd like to see in Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by nickydude View Post
    When right clicking in text mode, the ability to 'Select All' text.
    Ctrl+A shall help you. And is faster than right click + menu option select.
    John.
    IP

Very nice, thank you.
    Last edited by nickydude; 05 March 2009 at 03:42 PM.
    IP

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

I'm VERY happy with the result here. I swear I've had dreams about how this would work since the days of Frontpage and they've finally come true through XWD!!

I would like to have my .web file upload to the ftp site along with the rest of the site. They're typically not large files and it would make the file available at the next computer i go to.

So if I work from home and upload my site, then go to work and somehow be able to download my .web file.

Right now I ftp and upload the .web file for editing where I go next.

Also, I'd like to be able to click / right-click for color selection. -maybe I missed that.

OOH!! And the shapes tool would be cool to have as well - starbursts & the like
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by dogbertbh View Post
    I would like to have my .web file upload to the ftp site along with the rest of the site.
    Place your web file inside the "files" folder (named like "index_htm_files" that is createl alongside the exported index.htm file for example) and it will be upload with all the other files.
    John.
    IP

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Smile Re: What I'd like to see in Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Place your web file inside the "files" folder (named like "index_htm_files" that is createl alongside the exported index.htm file for example) and it will be upload with all the other files.
    THIS is why I love Xara.

That's right - I said it

Thanks John!!
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris
    IP

Being able to import existing websites would be good, or is that already there?
    Jon
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jon spain View Post
    Being able to import existing websites would be good, or is that already there?
    I don't believe you'll find a WYSIWYG web designer that could do that, anywhere. The problem of parsing and translating arbitrary HTML/CSS code into the local proprietary format used by all such programs is, I believe, well nigh unsolvable--at least at the affordable level.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com
    IP

Being able to import existing websites is close to impossible I'm afraid. In order to do that we'd have to interpret the HTML, CSS, Javascript and create a layout that is an exact replication of what a web browser does. In effect that IS a Web browser. And since the likes of Microsoft, Netscape/Mozillla (Firefox), Opera have been struggling to produce a reliable or compatible browsers for 10 years or more, this is just not practical.

So while it would be truly great to be able to load existing websites and edit them, I can't see it happening in the foreseeable future.
    IP

For XWD to read the page size folder "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Web Designer\Templates\ENG" on startup so any page size templates we add will be available in the New menu and the drop down of the page properties.
    IP