Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Text cutting off

Ahh, bear in mind that I originally asked about the cutting of text, not squashing. This reason is that I've actually squashed the entire screen shot down so it wasn't a large image to show on the forum. So the 'squashing' is just a resized screen shot.

http://img52.exs.cx/img52/271/l9iblush.gif
    IP

Nicky the screen shot is not what we have been talking about. It is the text in your .web file. It exhibits traits of being squashed which is what would cause it to be cut off. Squashed text will not properly wrap within the text area when exported so it becomes cutoff.

Steve (sledger) and I have been trying to duplicate the problem but cannot with out resorting to squashing the text deliberately within Xtreme then placing it within Web Designer.

Theroretically it is impossible to squash the text within Web Designer...but somehow it has been done or a reasonable facsimile.
    Last edited by Soquili; 05 March 2009 at 01:56 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Right, I see what you mean. I've just tried to duplicate it and it's a combination of resizing with both the text tool and the select tool. First I resized it small using the select tool, then used the text tool to enlage the text box, then shrunk it smaller using the select tool... It's a combination of using one then the other to shrink / enlarge.
    IP

It should not do that

I think you have found a bug in the soup so to speak.

When John (Covoxer) is online again I'm sure he will make note of it. He works on a lot of the Web Designer code I believe.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

The selector tool can not (should not) change proportions of the text object.
    However, it is possible to change them in WD the other way. If you turn off proportions lock in the property bar of the selector tool (the small lock button to the right of the percentage scales), and then manually change the width in the width box on the property bar, it will resize only in one dimension.
    John.
    IP

Right John

OK - back to Post #1 and #2.
    nickydude, you squished the text, browsers don't render squished (resized in the horizontal dimension only) text.
    IP

Perhaps WD should always lock the proportions when dealing with text - regardless of the users general setting.
    IP

Maybe,
    For just the purpose of using squashed text,
    Have (auto)convert to shapes as you implemented for the rotating text issue

Hans
    IP

Turning off the proportional lock, then changing the height:width of text is a valid operation (depending on graphic intent). While not accurately representable as text in a browser, a graphic conversion (to jpg or png) of the text can ensure proper display. Removing the option to disproportionately squish/squash text in xWD should not be seriously considered.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Turning off the proportional lock, then changing the height:width of text is a valid operation (depending on graphic intent). While not accurately representable as text in a browser, a graphic conversion (to jpg or png) of the text can ensure proper display. Removing the option to disproportionately squish/squash text in xWD should not be seriously considered.
    Well, if the user is expecting text to be rendered as html text, then a proportional lock would stop the user being disappointed with the end result when the html is generated. As you suggest, text that has been made into a graphic can be squished as the end user sees fit.

The challenge for Xara is making these two situations clear to the user.

I don't think dismissing locking the proportions of text that is being generated as html needs to be dismissed out of hand.
    IP