Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question EULA Question...Dual Install

I just purchased Web Designer and I am anxious to get to work on it, but due to this being my copy, not my business' copy, I was wondering if there is anyway to install on 2 separate computers-one at home-one at work? I am a solo user on both computers, but I work on projects at both work and home.

If the EULA doesn not allow this, has Xara ever thought of a dongle type of license for people that need to work on dual computers, but only licensed for single use? We use dongle technology for expensive software that allows us to install on multiple computers but only use one for each license we purchase a dongle for.

Any thoughts?
    If I cannot do this, I am just going to install at home on my personal computer...I was just hoping to be more productive...silly me!!
    Thanks.
    Shaun
    IP

Default Re: EULA Question...Dual Install

EULA as included in Web Designer Help.

Relevant to your question:

XARA WEB DESIGNER END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ("EULA")

You are permitted to:

1. load or download the Software and use it only on a single client computer which is under your personal control;

2. copy the Software from one computer to another under your personal control provided it is used on only one computer at any one time and only by you. The copies must reproduce and include Xara's copyright notices;

3. transfer the Software (complete with all its associated documentation) and this license to another person provided that person has agreed to accept the terms of this Agreement and you contemporaneously transfer all copies of the Software you have made to that person or destroy all copies not transferred. If any transferee does not accept such terms then this license shall automatically terminate. The transferor does not retain any rights under this Agreement in respect of the transferred Software or license.

You are not permitted:

(a) to use the Software on any computer or system which permits electronic access to it by more than one user;

(b) to rent, lease, sub-license, loan, copy (except as expressly provided in this Agreement), modify adapt, merge, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works based on the whole or any part of the Software or its associated documentation except as permitted by law;

(c) except as expressly provided in this Agreement, to use, reproduce or deal in the Software in any way.
    IP

OK...so...
    load or download the Software and use it only on a single client computer which is under your personal control;

2. copy the Software from one computer to another under your personal control provided it is used on only one computer at any one time and only by you.
    So if the computers I want to use it on are used only by me and only one at a time (home and work) then I should be able to install without issue...right?

I was wondering if the activation takes this into account. I don't want to install it here at work and then not be able to install at home because it is already activated...you see my concern?

Thanks in advance!
    Shaun
    IP

I think the EULA is fairly clear.
    Xara have always allowed their software to be installed onto other PC's provided you are the *only user* (under your personal control).
    In other words, if you are at home using Xara software on your home PC and someone at work is using your licensed copy installed on your work PC, this is in breach of the EULA.
    However, it it is only you who is using your licensed copy on either PC at any one time, then this complies with the EULA.
    IP

Thanks for the clarification...
    I bought a program a couple years ago to use at home and work and got caught up with a issue of electronic registration that would not allow two installations without uninstalling on the other computer...I always clarify it with the company now...
    Thanks!
    IP

TG moderators are not employees or staff of Xara Ltd. We are enthusiast members who volunteer their time to help run Talkgraphics.

My knowledge of the Xara Software EULA is based purely on what is available in their Help file and from past experience or comments from Xara Ltd.

If this time it turns out to be wrong, then we will both learn something new
    IP

Reading the EULA suggests that you can install XWD on more than physical computer as long as you are the only one using the computers.

However, at the bottom of the email that contained my serial key I read the following:

This serial number may stop working if you change your hardware.
    Re-activation may be carried out free of charge up to three times
    after purchase.
    This would suggest that activation works in a similar way to Windows activation: if you change any major parts of your hardware then you will need to reactivate the software (to make sure you haven't sneakily copied the program to another computer). BUT, you can only do this THREE times!

If I install on my home desktop, and on my laptop (which only I use) then I will only have one activation left before I need to repurchase XWD?

Clarification from Xara would be helpful on this one as I am scared to install on my laptop...

Planetsquid
    IP