Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Sunset

Here's one of my sunsets. I've done a lot in the experimentation! This one isn't all that real, nor was it supposed to be. Although somewhat abstract I think it still has a very warm glow to it. Feeling it fit pretty well, I signed my initials in Japanese at the bottom.

Steve Newport
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Here's one of my sunsets. I've done a lot in the experimentation! This one isn't all that real, nor was it supposed to be. Although somewhat abstract I think it still has a very warm glow to it. Feeling it fit pretty well, I signed my initials in Japanese at the bottom.

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Very nice! Regarding the Japanese initials you noted: In the .xar format I see a font substitution because my system doesn't have the Japanese font you used. One way of dealing with the situation (yet still posting in the .xar format) is to convert the text you create to an editable shape prior to saving.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Hey, I just cut the shape of the text out. It should work now! Any advice would be great, I'm always open for some constructive criticism. Thanks a lot

Steve Newport
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Lovely image (with or without the Japanese characters [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Living by the ocean most of my life I can't help but interpret the lower part of the image as water. Since Steve lives in Ohio I can understand that maybe it is a gentle rolling landscape.

Well if it's water that was intended, I find the line of the horizon isn't quite straight enough. Actually it would be a very gentle arc representing the curve of the earth. Given the relative size of the sun, the scene illustrated is very "big" and so it probably would be possible to see the curvature.

On the otherhand if it isn't water, I'd be tempted to suggest exagerating the rolling profile of the horizon. That way opinionated folks like me won't think it is water.

It is interesting to note that the sun usually appears larger near the horizon than when it is higher in the sky. Same for the moon. I've heard two theories attempting to explain the observation. The first is that it is an illusion caused by our sense of perspective. When the sun or moon are low in the sky we see them relative to things we know the size of and this supposedly plays tricks on our perception. I find the other theory much more plausible. It goes that when the sun or moon are high in the sky we are seeing them through only several miles of atmosphere. When seen closer to the horizon we are looking at them through many miles of atmosphere. The difference creates a true "optical" effect - sort of a magnification effect. Sounds good to me!

Anyways, keep up the good work Steve and have a Happy New Year!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Hey, thanks for the posts. To be honest with you, whether it shows or not, it only took me about a half hour to do the whole work. I was just watching a movie ("Gladiator" if it matters)and it had a really nice sunset and some attributes that I had left out on previous works of mine. So being inspired I decided to try something a little different with different techniques I had learned here and there.
    Again I wasn't going for realism, but you did bring up something which I had neglected to see before and that is the curve of landscape when being viewed from far away. I know what theory your talking about the sun too, and to be honest with you I just hadn't thought about it! But I will be working on seperate pieces like that in the future and hope to use all the advice you have provided, thanks a lot again, and a Happy NewYear

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-