Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mouse-over of web properties does not relate to mouse-over layer

This program is just awesome. I am so looking forward to putting in some serious time using it.

It just seems a little strange that you can create a mouse-over effect using the mouse-over layer, while having the "no effect" option selected in the web properties for that object. I wonder if it should be renamed something along the lines of "mouse-over layer effects only", alternatively have this as an additional option and have "no effect" mean just that - no mouse-over effect.

Just a thought..but I am sure that after a few more hours of using WD I won't even think twice about it.
    IP

Default Re: Mouse-over of web properties does not relate to mouse-over layer

It's a valid point. The MouseOver layer and the pop-up or rollover mechanisms that use other layers, can be a bit confusing I'd agree.

The thing is that the MouseOver layer is sort of automatic. Anything with a link on will show what's in the same position on the MouseOver layer - you don't have to set any properties, other than having a link on the object.

The mouse-over tab of the Web Properties dialog is really for allowing any other layer to show when you mouseover - and in this case the mouseover objects doesn't need to overlap, can contain un-grouped graphics text anything, anywhere on the page.

So it's all related to MouseOver type operations. So it's not easy to see how to make this clearer since they are all really just two, quite subtle, variations of mouse-over effects. Any suggestions how to simplify or reduce the confusion would be welcome.

Maybe we should keep the Mouseover terminology for the main MouseOver layer, and use the term 'pop-up layer' or effect for everything else. Trouble with that is we use 'pop-up' for the Photo pop-up effect which is something else entirely. Not easy.
    IP

I can't get the automatic mouse over to work.

I create a black ellipse on the MouseOff layer.

Clone it, cut it, paste in place on the MouseOver layer and change the colour to red.

Make sure both layers are enabled, drag a selection around the ellipses and create a soft group.

Export and preview and no mouse over effect happens.

Reading the reply from Charles above it seems I must add a "link" to my creation and leave both the link tab and mouseover tab set as "do nothing".

I do this and click apply but still don't see a mouseover effect on preview.

Please tell me what I am missing. I just want a black ellipse to become a red ellipse when the mouse moves over it.

Thanks.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Reading the reply from Charles above it seems I must add a "link" to my creation and leave both the link tab and mouseover tab set as "do nothing".
    You must set any kind of link from the link tab to your ellipse on the MouseOff layer (this setting for the MouseOver ellipse is ignored). That's it.
    John.
    IP

I am setting a link on the black MouseOff layer and leaving the link tab set as "do nothing".
    But still no change on mouseover in a preview.

May I ask that you look at the attached.

many thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

put # in the linkfield of the webproperties for the mouseoff(layer) object

Hans
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I am setting a link on the black MouseOff layer and leaving the link tab set as "do nothing".
    "Do nothing" option means that the link is not set! To set a link you have to select any other option, enter link text (if needed) and click on "Apply". All this on the "Link" tab.
    John.
    IP

Now I have it !

Thanks John ( and Haakoo, I used your # )

I think my problem was that I only wanted the rollover effect, I didn't want anything to happen when the ellipse was clicked which is why I selected "do nothing".

So "do nothing" on the link tab really means "remove link" if you have one set ?

I must add an unwanted link if I only want the mouseover effect ?.

Maybe there should be some way to specify "mouse over only, ignore clicks" ?

thanks for the help.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by DD
    I am setting a link on the black MouseOff layer and leaving the link tab set as "do nothing". But still no change on mouseover in a preview.
    Peeking at the Web Properties > Link (tab) for the black circle on the MouseOff layer, "Do Nothing" is selected. Instead, click the drop-down list to the right of the "Link to page" option. Select "Index" from the list. With a link now assigned, go ahead and Preview your page. Notice how the MouseOver effect now functions properly.

Note that all valid links will properly stimulate the MouseOver effect. "Do Nothing" will not, however.
    IP

Thanks cursor.

Maybe a valid link option should be "ignore clicks".
    It seems to me that "do nothing" should set up a valid link so that mouseover will work and also specify that clicks are thrown away.
    As it stands "do nothing" actually means "remove link and stop mouseover effects"
    Last edited by DD; 29 March 2009 at 03:56 PM.
    IP