Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Problem with Export/Preview Website

I have just downloaded and purchased Xara Web Designer and having a play.

If I open introduction.web and then from Main Menu File-Export Website
    i receive an error message - Unable to find the filter to import that file with

This also happens with File-Preview.

NOTE: In Vista have to run as administrator then all works ok.

regards Jon
    Last edited by Jon Platten; 04 March 2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Fixed problem

Default Re: Problem with Export/Preview Website

Hi Jon,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Thanks for reporting your problem and how you fixed it.

This will help others if they encounter the same problem.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello Jon,

You shouldn't need to run the program as an administrator. Now that you have run it as an administrator and it worked, does it also now work when run as the normal user?

The filters should register themselves perfectly happily in a normal user account but it appears that this hasn't worked on your system. My guess is that this is due to some virus/registry protection software on your machine that is preventing a non-admin user from registering COM objects that are private to that user. What virus/security programs do you have on your machine?

Thanks,
    Gerry

I use Vista Home Premium and have no problems opening or previewing. Just thought I'd let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by nickydude View Post
    I use Vista Home Premium and have no problems opening or previewing. Just thought I'd let you know.
    and I have Vista ultimate and appear to have no problems.
    If I get any I will advise.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryI View Post
    Hello Jon,

You shouldn't need to run the program as an administrator. Now that you have run it as an administrator and it worked, does it also now work when run as the normal user?

The filters should register themselves perfectly happily in a normal user account but it appears that this hasn't worked on your system. My guess is that this is due to some virus/registry protection software on your machine that is preventing a non-admin user from registering COM objects that are private to that user. What virus/security programs do you have on your machine?

Thanks,
    Gerry
    Gerry

It functions Ok now after running once as an administrator, I'm running McAfee Internet Security Suite.

Regards Jon

I am having the same problem when I go to Export and Preview Website. I am also getting the error "Unable to find the filter to import that file with". I have Windows Vista, and am running as administrator. I also have McAfee Security. I am able to preview another website in Internet Explorer browser when I am working in Xtreme 4 Pro, so I don't think it would have anything to do with my security software. Any addional suggestions?

Thanks,

Even when your account is an admin account, sometimes you need to right-click an icon and select "run as administrator" explicitly in Vista to get some programs to run properly. Have you tried that yet? I think that's what the original poster meant.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

It would be useful if you could, as a test, try running the program with McAfee security disabled temporarily and see if that fixes the problem. The program needs to write things into the registry when it is first run to enable some of the import and export filters and this process may be being blocked by McAfee.

Thanks,
    Gerry

Unhappy Re: Problem with Export/Preview Website

Thanks Spinny. I think I did what you suggested. I right clicked the Xara Web Design application, and opened properties, selecting the Administrator to run the program, still getting the same error. Also checked the user information, and since I am the only user on this computer, and you have to have an Administrator, that is selected. Can not even change to standard user if I wanted to. Am I missing something?