Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default applying gradient fills to multiple objects

Hi there - back again with the old graph questions. Is there an easy way to apply a multiple gradient fill effect to a multiple selection (ie several bars) - at the moment when we select all and apply it applies the gradient to the entire selection and not the individual bars. Any help much appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: applying gradient fills to multiple objects

You can apply the gradient fill to one object, copy it, select your other objects and go to Edit/ Paste Attributes (Shift + Ctrl + A).
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

As an extension to the orginal question...

If I have a shape with a circular fill, which I copy, and the paste attributes to a shape with different proportions, the aspect ratio of the fill becomes distorted to fit the aspect of the second shape - not the bahaviour I need. Is there any way to force Xara to maintain the original aspect ratio in the new shape?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yeah, this is sticky.

The only way I know how to do this and perhaps these is an easier way, is to drag guidelines through the center and end points of the fill path arrows, then paste attributes and adjust the fill path arrows to the guidelines. Not a very elegant solution but it does work.

Thumbs up Re: applying gradient fills to multiple objects

paste attributes - another new one for me! Thanks v much.

I recently found 'paste attributes' and love it. Gary, would you be ok with giving a bit more clarification on how to use the guidelines.. I'm not understanding how to in your answer. If you don't have time, I understand and thank you anyway.

Actually Copy (Ctrl c) and Paste Attributes (Shift Ctrl a) is what you want and then you need to adjust the fill path arrows to be the same proportion.

But if you want to match a fill so that one shape appears to have been filled with the same fill as another shape, this is where the guidelines come in.

The easiest way to do this is to copy the fill, group all the shapes you want to share the common fill, the paste attributes. Then ungroup and each object in the group will retain its portion of the fill.

The guidelines are for matching an existing fill. With the fill selected, drag guidelines through the control points of the fill you want to match. Paste attributes to the shape to which you want to copy the exact fill, select the recipient object and adjust the fill path arrows to match the larger object.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	match-fills.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	57144  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 05 March 2009 at 01:58 PM.

Thank you, very informative. Another new tip for me.