Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Centre page

Default Centre page

Hi, if I create a webpage with a background say 2000x1500pix. Along the top of the background is an image. Then I place a 1000x1200pix page in the centre of that background with a row of buttons down the side. How do I get it so when the webpage opens in a browser the page along with the buttons opens up in the centre of the browser window? At the moment when I try it the page is always off to one side.
    The attached jpeg is just an example of how I want the layout to look like...thanks roger

Example of how I would like it http://www.marilynsholin.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webpage.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	57052  
    IP

Default Re: Centre page

Quote Originally Posted by Tao jones View Post
    At the moment when I try it the page is always off to one side.
    Hi Roger,

Is this a question about Xtreme 4 html output or are you asking if the new (yet to be released) Xara Web Designer will be able to suit your requirements?
    IP

Hi Sledger, not too wet up there is it? I suppose both. I am attempting to do it now in X4. I will buy the new program so maybe I should wait to see if it can be done in webdesigner...thanks r
    IP

Anything you put on the page in XX4 or WD as an object becomes part of the page and is exported as part of the size of the page template you use. Any overflow is removed.
    If you were to start with a page dimensions of 2000x1500pix, WD will export the page and image at this size therefore the browser considers it's width/height and renders it from top-left. If the browser window and screen resolution isn't enough to contain the entire size of the background image, then scroll bars will be generated.
    2000x1500pix is too large for any standard monitor at full screen in any case.

I think I know what you want, but I can't think if a way to have a dynamic background image which is so large who's width is ignored by the browser (overflow hidden) and doesn't produce scroll bars yet still know that the other elements should be in the centre.

John Horn may be able to offer more insight.
    IP

thanks sledger..example of how I sort of would like it http://www.marilynsholin.com/

I suppose I am asking if this can be done in WD.

When I made a test webpage it had scroll bars and the page I wanted was off to the side. I don't need it as big as I said but I would like to me able to do what she has done in the above link...roger
    IP

Hi Roger, yes my previous answer was for WD as I know it so far.
    If you look at the source for your linked page you can see that the background image is assembled from several images (three parts for the shadows alone!) and repeat tiled across the screen as necessary using what looks like a combination of .css and perhaps some plugin. It's not one image only which I think is what you are wanting?
    IP

Apply your wide background image as a page background (Ctrl+Drag and drop on the empty page, or click the "Background" in the bitmap gallery).
    Experiment with this. It may help you.
    This works in both XXP4 and XWD.
    John.
    IP

John I think Roger is wanting Xtreme to ignor the page size so that a wide background image is relative to the browser window and not the Xtreme (or WD) 'page' size, yet still render the page content in the centre of the screen no matter what the resolution.
    IP

The page backround image in the Xtreme is exported as a repeated fill for the entire browser window regardless of the boundaries of the page.
    This may be not perfectly what Roger wants because it does tiling in both directions and it synchronizes background position with page movement (due to centering). But it may be of some help.

Name:	background.png 
Views:	342 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	57061  
    Last edited by covoxer; 04 March 2009 at 06:47 AM.
    John.
    IP

correct sledger...this is one way I can do it use an image like this for the background which will repeat and then center a white page into the white area of the below image for text etc...roger

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	57060  
    IP