Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone know where DRAW 12 stores it's information on custom line styles? I have created a few macros linked to new custom line styles, but when I export the macros, workspace, templates, etc. to other computers, the macros won't run because the line styles do not exist. In Corel 8 it seemed pretty easy but for the life of me can't figure this out for 12.
    IP

Does anyone know where DRAW 12 stores it's information on custom line styles? I have created a few macros linked to new custom line styles, but when I export the macros, workspace, templates, etc. to other computers, the macros won't run because the line styles do not exist. In Corel 8 it seemed pretty easy but for the life of me can't figure this out for 12.
    IP

I sure have JohnR. I have look just about everywhere it seems. I have even made changes to the Corel interface then did a C: drive search for files that have changed and found nothing. I'm not too up on the XP registry thing. I guess there could be a file hanging out in there somewhere.
    IP

By custom line styles, do you mean custom media strokes like in CD11? Mine points to C:/Windows/Application Data/Corel/Graphics11/UserDraw/CustomMediaStrokes. But my old pc is still running on Win98SE, so it may not be helpful. Maybe you directed yours to some other folder? Why not create some new ones, save them then note where they are placed from the dialog box that opens?
    IP

Hi Grafixman, by line style I mean regular old line types (I guess I shouldn't use the term "style" these days...but that IS what they are called). By line types I mean dashed lines or center lines. As I'm sure you know I can create new ones but going to the Outline Pen dialog box and click on the Edit Style button. Then I can created my own dashed lines by either replacing the existing line (editing it) or create a new one to the list. The problem is now that I have created these new line "styles", they are on my machine only. They travel with the drawing, but do not stay on another computer to be used later. I have created macros that link to these custom line styles, but of course if the line styles are not there (on the computer), the macro will not run.
    IP

So it's those custom made dashed lines! I can see how it can be troublesome to have to remake them again on another machine. I would guess that those parameters are saved in the registry. Hope I could help more, but this is unfamiliar territory for me, too.
    IP

I haven't upgraded or used C-Draw in a long time, the line styles file was named CORELDRW.DOT, I imagine it still is.
    You can edit the file with a word processor.

From Corel Draw Help.

If you don't find a line style that you like, CorelDRAW allows you to create your own customized outlines. This procedure shows you how to create a dashed line where the lines and spaces are each four pixels long.

To create a custom dotted line

1. With CorelDRAW closed, launch a text editor (e.g., WordPerfect), then open the file CORELDRW.DOT, located in the COREL\DRAW70\CUSTOM folder.
    2. Place the cursor after the word "styles" in the last line preceded with a semi colon.
    3. Press the down arrow key, then press ENTER.

This positions your cursor in the left character column, inserts a hard return, and opens a line preceding the number values.

4. Type "2".

This specifies that the unique dashed line you're creating consists of two elements (a line and a space).

5. Press SPACEBAR once, then type "4".

This specifies that the line, or "dot", is 4 pixels in length (the width of a dotted line is specified in the Outline Pen dialog box).

6. Press the SPACEBAR once more, then type 4 again.

This specifies that the space will be 4 pixels long.

7. Save the file, exit the text editor, then launch CorelDRAW.
    8. Open the Outline tool flyout, and click Outline Pen.
    9. Click the Line Style Selector.

The new pattern appears at the top of the Style list (after the solid default line).

The CORELDRW.DOT Text File

;
    ; COREL Draw! LINE STYLES
    ;
    ; Format: nNumbers nDotLength,nSpaceLength...
    ; WHERE: nNumbers - number of digits that follow (2 - 10)
    ; nDotLength,nSpaceLength - length of dots and spaces, alternating
    ;
    ; For example, 2 1 5 means there are 2 elements, the first one
    ; being a dot (one unit wide) followed by a (five unit wide) space.
    ;
    ; You are allowed to define up to 40 different line styles

2 1 5
    4 1 5 1 10
    6 1 5 1 10 1 10
    2 2 10
    2 5 5
    2 10 5
    4 5 5 10 5
    10 1 5 1 5 1 5 4 5 4 5
    6 1 5 1 5 4 5
    8 1 5 1 5 4 5 4 5
    10 1 5 4 5 1 5 4 5 1 5
    2 2 6
    6 4 5 4 5 1 5
    8 1 5 4 5 4 5 4 5
    10 4 5 4 5 4 5 1 5 1 5

; END OF FILE
    ;
    ;
    IP

Yup, Mike's tip is great.
    I did a little experimenting and found out that the CORELDRW.DOT as well as Corel Draw.ini files are updated whenever I added a new preset. Maybe you could find those files and copy them to the other machine? In my pc it is in C:\Windows\ApplicationData\Corel\Graphics11\UserCu stomData for the CORELDRW.DOT .
    So John got it in his suggestion. Just a question of file type.
    IP

EXCELLENT! Yeah, I did find that file but when I made a new line style, I didn't notice any change, so I ignored it. But I think I will take your suggestions, send those files over to another machine, and see how that work. Thanks everyone for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.
    IP

Bummer, http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif it didn't work. So what I am going to do is create true line "styles" so they can be viewed in the Graphic and Text docker, and link new toolbar buttons to those styles...and rely on people to import those styles into their drawings. Thanks again everyone for your help.
    IP