Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default downloadable files

If I want to offer say a pdf file for download from a web designer website and when my site's visitors click the download link the file opens in Adobe Reader within their browser. Will this be possible within web designer? Without having to know any html? Also I'd like to be able to offer wallpapers for download.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Default Re: downloadable files

Hi Frances,

PDF viewing integration within the browser is not something you can control via HTML. This is a function provided by the Adobe reader installation.
    You can Disable Browser Integration from the Adobe Reader settings. Sorry I can't tell you exactly where because I stopped using Adobes bloat some time ago.
    Basically the answer is no, you can't stop this happening when your visitors click a PDF link in your page.
    You might need to add a note near the download link which instructs your visitors to 'Right-click and choose Save Target As..' to download the PDF rather than have it open in their browser.
    IP

I don't want to stop the file from opening in Reader, I want to know if Web Designer will allow me to easily create a link to the file.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    IP

Sorry Francis, I misread you post - apologies.

Yes you can link to a file from within WD easily
    IP

Frances - Basically you just link to the PDF file on your server from your Web Designer document. When your visitor clicks the link it opens a PDF viewer.

You just need to know the address of the pdf file.

For example Click here for PDF file.

This links to a pdf file on my server http://www.gwpriester.com/pdf-test.pdf
    IP

Just to add to what Steve and Gary have said. If the person viewing your page does not have a pdf viewer add-on to their browser they will be prompted to save the file to their hard drive.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks all of you. I think that WebDesigner is going to make my life easier. I presently use an online WYSIWYG editor and it is slow and limited in how you can customize the templates.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IP