Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Creating labels for curved surfaces

I agree, that will work fine for screen, Gary.
    I've a feeling that Jim wants to print them out for his pails though?
    IP

I think it's not an issue for any container with a flat surface - most people would either produce square graphics, or slope the vertical edges, keeping the graphics on the face and not wrapping around the curved edges.
    IP

I think if you really needed to do a wrap around label to sweep around the whole pail then you could do it like this:

Consider the four rounded corners are like Xhris's paper cup but quartered evenly in the vertical plane which are then joined together by four straight sides.

It would be fairly straight forward then draw the shape required. The difficult part would be actually measuring the quarter circumference lengths which is not as simple as measuring the circumference of the paper cup.

See attached xar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pail.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	107220  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

If you made a label that needed to be physically wrapped around the tapered box with curved edges, you would be mad. It would be very expensive in time to apply properly and for no good reason.

Chances are that anyone applying such a label as a stick-on is going to make a complete mess of it. It would also be very wasteful of paper.

About the only way to make a wrapable design on that shape would be with shrink plastic, a spray or a sleeve (also very fiddly).

I'd just put the label on the flat side.
    IP

The operative word was "challenge" Paul, as in how would you go about it. I don't believe Xhris in his original post was seriously going to print out & use labels for paper cups, it was reproducing the shape that was the challenge
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Egg, I wasn't responding to XHris, but to JimMooreATL.

It depends if his challenge is a real one or a conceptual one.
    IP

Here's one I made earlier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pail.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	107223  
    Egg

IP

Very effective, Egg.
    IP

Looks great Egg. How did you do that?
    IP

Thanks Paul / Boy

Please find attached xar file.

The coloured "wave" shapes have a stained glass transparency to allow the background pail to show through.
    The grid was just a series of blends, converted to shapes and added.
    There's a white highlight to bring forward the curved corner with heavy feathering and a flat transparency
    The text is just plane text with an envelope mould applied to suggest going around the corners. I made "keep" duplicates (off the main drawing) in case I wanted to rejig them slighty
    There's a black shape with transparency to darken the buckets left hand side

Hide the "Pail Bitmap" layer to view just the vector shapes and move them about to view them against the Pale Blue Background.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

IP