Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frontpage

John,

It has been a while. Got hit by a very bad virus online in my email this past weekend. Had to buy a new hard drive. Couldn't even format the old one. It was fried.

Anyway I am trying to load my new website into frontpage from webstyles and forgot how to do it. Can you help?

Anne

Just load on a version of Linux on that ole drive, and this will take care of those format concerns... you should then be able to install windows from cd, upon formatting for windows... don't forget to partition... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hi Anne,

Sorry to hear about your hard drive going out to lunch... When you relaoded all your software, you loaded WS after loading FP right?

Then all you need do is open FP and use the insert command to launch WS... I think tthat should help.

Hi John
    Thanks for emailing me back. What does having to load fp before ws have to do with how it works? Need to know. I have been having to load each and every piece of my webpage one piece at a time, logo then menus then heading. It will not load the graphics folder I have to load everything into it manually. It has been a pain in the neck. I have email xara three separate times in 72 hours they have not wasted their time to get back with me on this problem. I read all their material and watched all their movies.

One suggestion I would make to them is they need new movies showing exactly how to load WS into frontpage instead of just the menus. Save them a lot of tickets and a lot of everyone elses time. I sat here with my business not producing for nearly a week. I wonder if they are even aware of the problems.

Anyway that is what happen to me. Understand the virus is nationwide. You don't even have to open the email. As soon as you open your email program the virus launches itself.

Thanks again.

Anne

P.S. I needed a bigger harddrive anyway. Christmas just came a little earlier. So something good did come out of it. And I bet you Xara support will not email me again today!

Originally posted by Anne:
    Hi John
    Thanks for emailing me back. What does having to load fp before ws have to do with how it works? Need to know. I have been having to load each and every piece of my webpage one piece at a time, logo then menus then heading. It will not load the graphics folder I have to load everything into it manually. It has been a pain in the neck. I have email xara three separate times in 72 hours they have not wasted their time to get back with me on this problem. I read all their material and watched all their movies.

One suggestion I would make to them is they need new movies showing exactly how to load WS into frontpage instead of just the menus. Save them a lot of tickets and a lot of everyone elses time. I sat here with my business not producing for nearly a week. I wonder if they are even aware of the problems.

Anyway that is what happen to me. Understand the virus is nationwide. You don't even have to open the email. As soon as you open your email program the virus launches itself.

Thanks again.

Anne

No it won't they tried it. The harddrive was fried! Got a new one, put me out a couple of hundred dollars. Needed a bigger one anyway.

From what I understand the virus is nationwide. I put a virus protection and firewalls up now and that should hopefully protect us.

Thanks

Anne

I do not run FP or WS, so it is hard to tell exactly what to do. From what I have read here in the forums, Frontpage needs to be loaded onto your computer first, so webstyle can load the "hooks" in so Frontpage can call Webstyle.

When rebuilding the pages you need to have front page open webstyle so it knows to put the output of webstyle into your FP pages.

On a new hard drive, sounds like you where taken to the cleaners. I just put a new computer together and picked up 2 250 Gig Harddrives for $129 a pop. If you paid any more than that, you got taken.

I would be willing to bet your email client is outlook or outlook express. those are the most common email clients and are really bad. They have so many expliotable holes in them it is hard for an antivirus program to keep your machine clean. I would strongly suggest using another email client there are about 40 or fifty out there. Some are free, some charge a little bit. I like calypso or netscape communicator. I have heard the email client that comes with firefox is rather good but have not really checked it out.

Hi Anne,

John is correct. Frontpage must be installed on your hard drive before installing WebStyle. Frontpage isn't designed to look for Webstyle when it installs so it won't do anything to make it available. When Webstyle is installed it looks to see if Frontpage and I think it also looks for Dreamweaver. If it find either or both it will do what is necessary to register itself as a plugin for those programs. If Webstyle is already installed before Frontpage or Dreamweaver it doesn't have a way that I'm aware of to hook itself into those programs.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello

It was installed before FrontPage, but I took it out and then installed frontpage 2003 then installed WS. It still does not find the product.

I am about to asked for all my money back because I just can not get it do, what it is suppose to do.

Anne

hi Anne,

okay... Did you remove webstyle by remove programs or did you just delete the directory for it in programs. Look carefully at the install screens. On MM it asks you if you have FP or dreamweaver. I would assume the installer for Webstyle is the same. Make sure you say yes so webstyle can install the hooks in frontpage.