Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Multiple simultaneous replace of bitmap fills retaining fill properties

Several objects containing the same bitmap fill, but each with a different fill orientation (for example when used in the cloning technique) may sometimes need to be replaced with a new bitmap. You can't replace multiple selections with another bitmap and retain the previous individual object fill properties. You can with single selected photos by holding shift and dropping, but not multiple. This is possibly an oversight?

Default Re: Multiple simultaneous replace of bitmap fills retaining fill properties

I maybe can't understand you here Chris. If I give a bitmap fill to an object and then bring in a new bitmap and instead of using the old fill I want to use the new fill but keep the attributes the same as the old. I multiple select the objects and fill with the new, I get the same fill direction as the old fill.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Default Re: Multiple simultaneous replace of bitmap fills retaining fill properties

EDIT: Ok, right the fills don't appear to retain scale and orientation or LE's
    However many other fill properties (contones/tansparencies..) are carried over in a multiple simultaneous replace of bitmap fill.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 18 February 2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Clearer understanding

Prior to Xtreme 3.2 (I believe) when a new bitmap fill was applied it would retain the attributes of a previous bitmap fill.

The free application XaReg allows the behaviour of the older versions of Xtreme to retain bitmap fill attributes.

You can download XaReg from the XaraXone Shareware page:
    http://www.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html

The second attachment shows how a new bitmap fill was applied to multiple selected objects with the "Retain Current Fill Attributes" has been checked.

The 3 shapes on the left show the original bitmap fill. The 3 shapes on the right were all selected and a new bitmap was selected in the bitmap gallery. A new bitmap could also be drag-n-dropped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xareg_BitmapFill.gif 
Views:	176 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	56447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitmap_fills.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	56449  

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

That's interesting. This history does suggest this was overlooked by Xara...
    Attached Files Attached Files

The change did take place with the release of Xtreme 3.2 as discussed in the thread:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=28520
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes, I remember well the discussion it caused, but I'm just surprised I never noticed earlier that it stopped this particular functionality (multiple simultaneous photo replacement keeping fill properties). Shift-drop was added to avoid the problems the change caused to individual photos, but this doesn't work on multiple photos changed together--has to be an oversight.

I agree Xhris. I was providing the link for anyone that was not familiar with the functionality and how it has changed.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update