Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Here's mine! I know it's a bit late but when I read this last night I couldn't resist. While playing around with it I also noticed a difference in the refracted image. I don't think the rays need to be so high but I wanted to get the full effect without having to test it by incrementing one ray at a time.

Does anyone know why those fuzzy grey areas appear (they are within the "water" and I'm pretty sure that they are the white squares)? I can't figure it out.

Also, I notice that there is a fine grey line between my water and cup. I took a copy of my cup and removed the outer portion of the spline so the inner portion was exactly the same as the cup (inside a lathe nurb). Is there a tutorial for making liquids in a cup somewhere?

Thanks,
    -Tek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glass_cup_with_water_1a_rays_compare_JC18.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	5514  

Hi Teknal,

Great looking glass and water. Those gray areas are probably shadows on your water object. Add a compositing tag to your water object and uncheck the Receive Shadows.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Teknal, yes indeed,nice looking glass and water...

ya know what? You bring up some very interesting questions, to which personaly I have not the answers, but I would surely love to gain such... So yes indeed, di everyone make the "water" the inside dimensions of the cup, or halfway through, or all the way through etc? as well, I would really like to know how some managed to make the condensation look on thier entry's here...

good stuff Bill

Gidget, the images from me had the 'water' slightly smaller than the inside of the glass. If it touches or intersects the glass you can get some unexpected results. Jens told me this last year when I first started using Truespace.

Sometimes the results can be nice though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shotglasses.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	16812  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

You want your water to be ever so slightly smaller than your glass. Interseting gemotery makes for some strange artifacts when rendering.

Try upping the size of the shadow map. This can be found in the light settings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If it touches or intersects the glass you can get some unexpected results. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also You can try using a boolean operation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would really like to know how some managed to make the condensation look on thier entry's here... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gidgit, I think it was the ice , but here's a photoshop postwork effect achieved by layering a duplicate image on top of the original, applying a gaussian blur and layer mask.

Wow, this is some very good information guys... thank you Bill, Randy, Mike... and Jens

Bill, great Illustration of the differences, thank you

Mike, thanks for that post op example, really cleared some things up for me