Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you export 3D model from free download of Bryce5

I downloaded the free Bryce 5 last summer and I use it a lot. But this is the first time I tried to export a model.
    However the "Export Object" is always grayed out, not active. Is this a limitation on the free download or am I doing something wrong?

Default Re: Can you export 3D model from free download of Bryce5

Do you have the object you want to export selected?

Yes, I even tried just a simple sphere and selected it.
    Export Object still inactive.

Download 5.5 the latest free version. http://www.download.com/Bryce/3000-6677_4-10696825.html
    It says there are no limitations.

You can't export objects from Bryce. I believe that only terrains can be exported. That's why people make objects from lattices and terrains.

In version6.1 they added a new feature where you could export booleaned objects. I just tried it and it works like this:

take a sphere and make it positive in the A (attributes). Make another sphere and make it negitive in the A. Move them together so they overlap and group them. The negative sphere will cut out the positive sphere. You now see a C next to the group. You can now export this object. You can also still export terrains and lattices (which are double sided terrains).

Places like Renderosity.com, 3dcommune.com have busy Bryce forums. You can find lots of help and work=arounds there.

Why work around?

There are many quicker solutions for any and all things 3D than Bryce IMHO

This is the answer I got from Daz:
    It's not a limitation. It's just not a standard item to export in Bryce. You
    can attempt to export it a different way. To export objects, even if the
    ‘Export Object’ choice in the menu is greyed out, do this. Select the object.
    Click on the ‘E’ for Edit next to the model in the viewport. In the new screen, press CTRL + D on your keyboard. A save menu should appear. Then you can export it.

They just seem to except "Export Object" is greyed out. Method described does work fine though, no big deal. Its probably rare anyone would require a model export from Bryce. I just had some old models made in Bryce I spent a lot of time on and wanted to get them into other apps.

Well Jerr, that's an awesome find and answer because I have some fantastic Bryce models that I would love to export and never could. I'll play with it and see if I can't export a few of them. Glad you posted the answer you got.

Gidgit, lol, yep lots of better 3D programs but Bryce is not a modeller and isn't suppose to be though it has limited 3D functions. I believe it's considered a terrain generator. I would not compare it to Terragen, it's more like my Vue6Infinite in the way it behaves and its capabilities. Vue blows Bryce away in the professional looking images it creates but only if you know what you are doing in Vue and Vue costs 10 times more than Bryce. ...$70 bucks or $700 bucks...hmmmm? Bryce is easier to learn and is very affordable.

Sorry, got carried away. I started my 3D life with Bryce and I created some awesome art with it. I won Poser6 with it. I won XaraXtreme2 with it. I won Xara3D6 with it. I won 70% off of Vue6Infinite with it. I know what it can do.

I'm not even sure why I feel the need to defend Bryce (and you might not even been picking on it). Perhaps it's like your very first computer game you ever played. It always seems to remain your all time favorite game. Mine was Tomb Raider 1 and it's still my favorite.

I have Bryce 5.5 and I am having problems finding Free 3 d models. The ones I do find I try to open the folder and it says its empty!what am I doing wrong? I downloaded 7zip to open rar files but I am really trying to figure this out. can someone please explain this to me?
    thanks for your help
    tina

Hi Tina,

Can you provide a link to one of the free 3D models you mentioned? We would need to see the file before we could offer any help as to why it reports as being empty.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update