Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default shape transparency

Today you can apply a flat, circular, conical, etc types of transparencies, but you don have a transparencie that match with your shape, if you want to apply a transparency following your shape you can't or I don't know how to do it, today I use feather, but it is not the same, do you understand what I mean?.
    Javier

Default Re: shape transparency

It is possible to use a blend to achieve a transparency which follows the edge of an irregular shape as shown.
    The blend is between one solid and one 98% transparent duplicate shape.
    Adjust the steps as required.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blendtransparency.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	56319  

steve,
    Good tip !!!!!
    Anyway I think that having a shape transparencie was easier and interactive.
    Thank you very much
    Javier

What you're really saying is I want a mesh tool at that has been said so....so many times! Can you describe a time when you could not do the same thing with a mesh tool and that you would need to use this transparency tool that follows your shape? If I had moderated this request it would not have seen the light of day.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Re: shape transparency

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    What you're really saying is I want a mesh tool at that has been said so....so many times! Can you describe a time when you could not do the same thing with a mesh tool and that you would need to use this transparency tool that follows your shape? If I had moderated this request it would not have seen the light of day.
    let me see if I understood cause as you know english is not my native language.
    I feel that your tone is rude and I feel you wanted to say "your idea is stupid" and I think I don't deserve it, I think I never express myself in an inappropiate way, many people here know me.
    You mentioned a mesh tool, that as far as I know xara does not have one.
    On the other hand TG ask people to send ideas, the people send all the ideas they believe would be nice based on theire experience.
    I'm a coordinator of a softawe development area and receive many suggestions from CUSTOMERS and they are evaluated for marketing and many of them are developed and many not but if you ask for ideas at least show respect for customers, don't forget that people who use Xara are Xara customers.
    Better gather moderators and send theire own ideas, please don't ask us.
    I give up, no more post in this forum, I don't want to expend my time in this.
    Javier

The only way I thought of was to make a transparency mask and use it to make something bitmap transparent.

Rich

Name:	Mask.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	56345  

Hi, custom transparency types (transparency masks) are covered in section 3.7.1 in my Transparency tutorial. I also produced a video about them. I would argue this thread should be moved to the main Xara forum now.

Javier, you deserve better answers than those first few replies, and I apologise on behalf of the moderators.

Your point is a perfectly legitimate question, and any artist will know and understand why you asked it.

If I understand rightly you want a transparency tool where the shape defines the shape of the transparency. So a like circular transparency which is opaque in the center and transparent on the outside of the circle. This is exactly what the feather control does. The transparency fades from the center towards the edge, where the edge is controlled by the shape.

And it turns out that the Feather control, combined with Transparency control, especially graduated transparency gives a faster, easier method than any Mesh tool for creating complex shading and highlighting. And this is why Xara has not, and is very unlikely ever to implement a Mesh tool. In the hands of those artists that understand the power of the feather control it can produce outstanding results, with fewer edits.

See this. The last example takes a few seconds in Xara by using feather and transparency controls (clone a few times and adjust each), and would be very difficult in all other drawing programs I know.

Name:	shading.png 
Views:	483 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	56346  

Ah, back to the basics. I imagine this could also be done on my original version of just old plain xara.

I do hope Javier will see your reply and that it is what he is looking for, but right at the beginning he did mention that he does feather, but using the transparancie tool at the same time may be exactly what the doctor ordered. I'll be interested in his reply to see if this is the effect he is looking for...........frank

realising that you can apply more than one graduated transparency to an object is half the battle here I think..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...