Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default transparencie and fill tools

I'll try to explain me.
    In fill tool you can double click over the arrow and add more colors to the fill and get several color effects.
    I'd like to have the same utility but in transparencie tool, that is to say, you choose the transparencie tool, drag, double click over the transparency arrow and set the value of transparencie for that point, I could get diferent values of transparencies for every point in the same way I get different colors when I place points over fill tool.

Other:

Today you can apply a flat, circular, conical, etc types of transparencies, but you don have a transparencie that match with your shape, if you want to apply a transparency following your shape you can't or I don't know how to do it, today I use feather, but it is not the same, do you understand what I mean?.

Other:
    Idem to fill tool, I've needed more than one time to be able to fill a shape with 2 or more colors following the form of the shape, to get that I have to use for instance contour + feathering or transparency to get the result.
    I think that have a shape fill (as we have, conical, circular, eliptical, etc) would be great.
    I hope you be able to understand my explanation, it is a bit difficult to me to explain.
    If you need more detail I can make some drawings to explain me better.
    Javier

Default Re: transparencie and fill tools

Hi Javier, as outlined in the forum sticky, we'd like to keep one feature per thread thanks.
    This makes it simple to keep track of each feature requested.

So for your main question (the first one)

For variable transparency there are a couple of methods available to you already.

Once is the 'repeated' transparency setting while adjusting the profile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	variable.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	56301

Another other is to enable 'make groups be transparent as a whole' in the options, then after the first linear transparency, group the shape (shape becomes grouped with effect) then apply a second linear transparency to the same shape.
    This is limited I admit, but it works well.

Name:	variable1.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	56302

Dual circular transparencies

Name:	twin-circular-transparencie.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	56300

Steve,
    You are right actually I use all that ways to make drawings, but many times it is difficult because you must make several steps to get the desire result.
    Grouping to apply more than one transparency.
    I use the repeating option but I think that the solution proposed is adittional, obviously nothing is extremelly needed, always We get the way to resolve the problem but many times it takes several steps.
    Best regards and thank you
    Javier

I made this video some time back which demonstrates the workaround you mention (for the benefit of any readers unfamiliar with it--the second half). It is related to section 2.1 of my transparency tutorial.

I posted in the other thread about how variable shaped transparency can be obtained with the Feather control. Feather is nothing more than fading transparency around the edge of a shape, defined by the shape.

I'd also add that the next release of Xtreme (later this year) will have the ability to allow multiple 'graduation stops'. (You heard it here first. See this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shading2.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	56347  

whoo! - that's two pieces of good news re the next release [the other being the change to closing shapes you mentioned elsewhere]

Thanks Charles - look forward to it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    I posted in the other thread about how variable shaped transparency can be obtained with the Feather control. Feather is nothing more than fading transparency around the edge of a shape, defined by the shape.

I'd also add that the next release of Xtreme (later this year) will have the ability to allow multiple 'graduation stops'. (You heard it here first. See this
    THAT IS ONE OF THE POINTS WHAT I WANTED TO EXPLAIN, multiple step transparency, you catched it Charles, the other point is shape transparency, I know you can get it with actual tools but I think that shape transparency would be easier and interactive, the same request I've made to fill tool in other thread.

I'm attaching a drawing about what I mean with shape transparencie obviously the edges would be manage with profiles to get more sharpness o feathering.
    I hope I have been clear enough.
    anyway step transprency is much more than good news.
    Best regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step transparency.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	56353  
    Last edited by jvila; 15 February 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: change want for wanted
    Javier

Damn it! Now I have to redo my tutorial...

Thank you Charles! Great news That´s the type of updates/features that really makes me happy! It broadens the possibilities of what can be acomplished with vector/drawing tools in Xara Xtreme. Hope there´s more coming....