Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Forget Open Source, just sell a Linux version!

I've spent far too long now struggling with XaraLX, rebooting to Windows and dithering about virtual machines (and their associated performance hit).

Please Xara - as a customer since your Beeb days and a user of Artworks, just produce a version for Linux (and I assume you may as well do a Mac version at the same time), then charge for it!

I always upgrade the Windows version, but as the rest of the tools I use are in Linux (and are superior to the Windows version), its become an annoyance to use Xara, where it used to be a pleasure.

I (and I'm sure many others) don't mind paying as we already do - but at the moment, if I could find a comparable product in Linux I'd move over straight away!

I'm sure you must have lost many customers by not having a Mac version - so plug the hole and take control of the market!

I'm not fussed if I have to pay for it, as I happily pay for the windows version already.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IP

Default Re: Forget Open Source, just sell a Linux version!

Hi NielB,

Your issue with a Linux version of Xara is understandable but sadly, has been argued to death. The experience between Xara and the OpenSource world were fairly undesirable, and I would think not something Xara would eagerly jump into again.. and justly so.
    I think a better approach, would be to put together an official poll, to see what percentage of Linux users would be willing to purchase a ported version at the fair market price, as well as to purchase the upgrades, then send those results to Magiks (I always get their name wrong apologies) which is the company which now owns Xara.
    If they felt there is sufficient evidence that there is a market to be had there and profit from... we might be closer to the dream. But then... after that, comes the real and often ugly work of finding Linux devs interested in working on the project. Not to mention the various based distros... I would think Ubuntu would be one of the first to benefit from such a project... (they always are)
    I am one who fully agrees that I would gladly pay the full cost of Xara, ported to the Linux platform... but, there is just so much more to the idea than meets the eye, and honestly, I could not tell you if the desired results would be obtainable.

No matter how well it might go.. at one point or another... those "open-source" GNU fanatics will rear their ugly heads.. and growl out their hypocritical cries about "freedom" and what-not, and spoil the whole thing.
    I know that more and more, Linux users are beginning to feel the same way about being able to benefit from like 3rd party software companies... but, until a large enough group can join together, and keep the crusaders at bay, so as not to scare off any potential takers.... nothing like this will ever happen.

I dream of the day I can purchase XaraPro to run on my Linux machine.. with all the same features and abilities as the Windows version... and so do many others... but we need to have something more than just a dream/desire to back it all up... we need hard facts, figures, and numbers to present to the manufacturer, to prove to them that they stand to make a decent profit from such a venture... This is, afterall.. what business is all about.

I am fully available to open discussions elsewhere, to try to get something going on this... just say the word.. and we can get to work. I cannot make promises to the success of such a project... but only that we will never know, if we don't make the effort.
    IP

Well thats two of us, but yes great points.

It was a bit of a rant after battling with LX again, trying to put off a reboot to a real version.

If people don't want to pay, then they can carry on with LX as that is an already existing Linux option - I (we) just want to pay to get more. I'm sure there are other Linux apps that have that option (Suse itself for a start - there is Suse and OpenSuse, which I use).

Perhaps a poll here would be a start? Perhaps its worth asking the powers that be what it would take?
    IP

I don't think this would be the appropriate place to do this.. only because it will have the potential to bring in many, very verbally abusive opposers. This is a typical and sad fact for these types of issues related to Linux, and it would not be very welcome here. and I would never want to be part of anything which might bring such unwanted misery to this great place...
    IP

[sigh] I understand - found that issue on other non-computer related forums.
    IP

Neil.. if you would like to come by the forum which is the top one of my three links in my sig... we could discuss this more I think a Linux centric issue should be handled within a Linux environment, and spare the good people here the unpleasantries
    Would be glad to have ya
    IP

I think a momental alternative would be a better support for Wine. I run some very performing windows apps on Wine (Fontlab, Creature House Expression 3) without any installation problems and they work even faster than on xp. Xara3D 5 installed also nicely and works flawlessly. But why not X3D 6 !?

ivan
    IP

Wine works better for some... I'm not a huge virtual environment person myself. I also run Linux exclusively and have not used Windows in roughly 2 years or more now.
    The only way I would find a potential to porting to Linux once again... would be only if I were able to have some rough figures to show an estimated return value from such a project, as well as proof of being able to see at least a certain percentage of the development cost to be able to be covered through donations
    It's all in the tools used to try and peak their interest. Might work, might not. But I'd sure like to try at the very least. Just have to find a way to do it without getting certain Linux entities involved (which is a project in it's own)

Be mindful though, as I stated before... it would take quite a lot to convince them to even think of considering this idea. I'm sure the skepticism would be great

Either way, I am reachable to anyone who would be interested in beginning talks of decent strategy. But it has to be something realistic. The idea is not to tell them how happy it would make us, but rather how it would benefit them.
    The burden of proof is upon us. And it is solely a business related venture so should be continued elsewhere, as this area is for helping people on how to use XaraLX.
    I am not opposed to meeting with anyone at the forum which is at the top of my signature linuxgraphicsusers. I would even be willing to set up an exclusive area for it.
    IP

Wine support would be great, though I assume its more that Wine doesn't support Xara rather than the other way around. I've also tried CrossOver with no joy.

By the way - you don't need to run Windows to use Wine. I believe Wine replaces the windows librarys (and as the acronymn spells "Wine Is Not an Emulator").

I'd rather not wander off onto another forum - this is after all a forum for "Xtreme for Linux" which is exactly what we are discussing
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by NeilB View Post
    Wine support would be great, though I assume its more that Wine doesn't support Xara rather than the other way around. I've also tried CrossOver with no joy.

By the way - you don't need to run Windows to use Wine. I believe Wine replaces the windows librarys (and as the acronymn spells "Wine Is Not an Emulator").

I'd rather not wander off onto another forum - this is after all a forum for "Xtreme for Linux" which is exactly what we are discussing
    Correct, but if any discussions were to be held on ideas to get the XaraLX development going again, as a paid/binary software... such a discussion here might bring in some intense, argumentative opposition.. which would be most unwelcomed here.
    This is more for providing assistance and tips to fellow users of XaraLX, not for development related discussions.
    IP