Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy printing crashes xaralx

I'm new to Xaralx, a great program, however, it would be even better if I could actually print. Printing, (or even doing a Print Preview) causes the program to crash with the following error message:

(xaralx:6120): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

** (xaralx:6120): WARNING **: could not set the value of Settings.Document.Filter, node not found
    Segmentation fault

I'm assuming its a Gdk issue. I'm running openSUSE 11.0. I installed rev. 1785 from the Autopackage Archive. Any help is appreciated.
    IP

Default Re: printing crashes xaralx

The autopackage version of XaraLX is outdated. There have been so many updates to the wxWidgets and other needed libs since it was released.
    Does Suse not have a current build of XaraLX within their repos?
    If not, might I suggest making the request to update XaraLX in the Suse forums?
    IP

Hi. I'm running ubuntu and I get exactly the same problem when I try to print anything. Sorry i'm a newbie and didn't understand the reply to this post. Could you please explain me the steps to get printing in xaralx working?

I even tried downloading the newest version of xara from xaralx.org, but still it crashed when I tried to print
    Last edited by natrixnatrix89; 20 April 2009 at 06:40 PM.
    IP

I'm using linux Mint 6, Felicia, ubuntu based. I just found this Xara a few days ago and although I love the facilities and effects, I have the same problem.
    It closes when actioning print or print preview.
    Not a bug, but basic simple user needs....print what you just spent hours drawing?

who has responsibility for the fix?
    IP

XaraLX is essentially abandoned by the Linux developer community.

To my knowledge no one is actively making updates for the program.

Xara put forth a working model but the linux community of developers were not interested in supporting the project's further development.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

well I realise this is only a workaround - but can you not export the file and print it from another application [inkscape gimp]

if it is just for print, exporting as a bitmap should be fine, as long as the resolution is right [150-300dpi region]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    well I realise this is only a workaround - but can you not export the file and print it from another application [inkscape gimp]

if it is just for print, exporting as a bitmap should be fine, as long as the resolution is right [150-300dpi region]
    That's what I do. Works for me.
    IP

But which is better for drawing? inkscape or xaralx?
    I tried xaralx and i really like it. Dont know how to do things that xara does - how to do them on inkscape...
    IP

not saying that you should do them in inkscape - you can if you wish, but it is not necessary - that is personal choice as to which is best

all you need do is select all the objects in xaralx that you wish to be in the print, export these as a bitmap [suggest you use .png], import this into either inkscape [or gimp] and simply print from there

you need to make sure the export resolution from xaralx is suitable for print as mentioned
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Re: printing crashes xaralx

Yeah, the work around is fine, I export as a PNG file to my pictures /graphics and then grab image in Scribus, (also excellent) to be able to print.
    But why should I have to do this?
    If only I had the time and knowledge.......
    I admire the folks who can turn out these applications, but they ought really to finish the job, or are they becoming just like the other software writers?
    IP