Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Vector fills

Default Vector fills

In the attached file, I used several fill patterns as a transparency in saturation or mix mode, with a various filled backgrounds.

Is it possible to do the same with a vector-based fill?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Vector fills

HI

you should be able to get the effect by applying the transparency to your vector 'fill' and then using clipview to 'fill' your shape - unless I have misunderstood

there are other ways to do it too I would imagine
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think you will have to explain what you mean by vector fills so that we can answer your question properly. The way that Handrawn has described it is the way to do it. Draw out your single tile duplicate and arrange it in the pattern you want it with the fill colour all sorted out and then select the both the shape and the pattern and then hit the key "Q". After that it is then just the transpaency to sort out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heart to Heart.png 
Views:	291 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	56194  
    Design is thinking made visual.

Info Re: Vector fills

Pete - I think Madrayken is referring to a repeating or tiled fill that is vector instead of bitmap.

CorelDRAW used to have vector fills, I have not used it in quite a while so I am not sure if they still do.

Xara cannot automatically create a vector fill and does not offer a gallery of vector fills. But as Pete (albacore) points out, you can create a repeating pattern object, duplicate it to make a pattern, and then use Arrange > Apply ClipView to mask the pattern inside a shape, filled shape or even a bitmap.

One of this month's Xara Xone Workbook excercises deals with repeating patterns. A Seamless Tiling Pattern. Just group the tile pattern, and repeat it as many times as you need to to create a repeating pattern. And if you want the background to be transparent or translucent then just make it so when you create the pattern.

Thanks for the info. I thought clipviews might be the way forward.
    I've also only just worked out that you can use a gradient fill on a group (which allows me those 'cross gradient' effects where the pattern is one gradient and the background is another).

And that heart looks great, by the way. Did you make the filigree yourself? Any chance you could post the .xar for reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    I think you will have to explain what you mean by vector fills so that we can answer your question properly. The way that Handrawn has described it is the way to do it. Draw out your single tile duplicate and arrange it in the pattern you want it with the fill colour all sorted out and then select the both the shape and the pattern and then hit the key "Q". After that it is then just the transpaency to sort out.
    Last edited by Madrayken; 09 February 2009 at 09:57 PM.

I am sorry I dumped the file straight after exporting it for this thread but it was ripped straight out of one of the "Clipart Gallery" I think it was a fancy D1 in the Letters 1 directory.

Sorry also I was being rude as your hearts looked great and a nice small tutorial into the bargain. Getting ready for the weekend with a card to someone special? I really liked your background as it worked well with your colours.
    Last edited by Albacore; 09 February 2009 at 09:34 PM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    I am sorry I dumped the file straight after exporting it for this thread but it was ripped straight out of one of the "Clipart Gallery" I think it was a fancy D1 in the Letters 1 directory.

Sorry also I was being rude as your hearts looked great and a nice small tutorial into the bargain. Getting ready for the weekend with a card to someone special? I really liked your background as it worked well with your colours.
    Pfft... nono - this was entirely for research purposes. I was using another designer's art as inspiration, namely Catalina Estrada.

I'll check out the clipart gallery patterns. Thanks for the tip.