Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marketing Xara

Default Marketing Xara

Firstly I should apologize for starting off so clumsily on this board. I am a lover of Xara, and have been from the start, before Corel came along, or Magix. I admire both the creators of this software, and those very savvy teachers of it.

By nature I tend to say what I think, and this sometimes offends. I apologize in advance for that, but I believe people should speak their mind honestly. Many people insist on being politically correct, and will thus avoid constructive criticism, but I like to say it like it is. I think this helps in the long run.

Over the past dozen years I have encountered many people online who invariably say, “Gee, you are a Photoshop wiz!”
    I reply, “Thanks, but I actually used Xara. You can see it at xara.com.”
    I’ve lost count of the number of times this happened. I’ve spent a great chunk of my life promoting Xara.

From the start I assumed that within a few years everyone would know about Xara. I assumed it would only be a matter of time before it was a household name. Yet after twelve years I find that very little had changed (in terms of fame). People still say, “Golly, you are a Photoshop genius!”

It used to be annoying. Now it’s downright pestiferous!

Am I going to see Xara become well known before I die of old age?

Wondering what must be wrong, I consider Xara’s marketing, and conclude that while their software is wonderful, their marketing leaves a lot to be desired. This is just an objective opinion, so please don’t go postal on me.

An example I cited in another thread (since locked) was the business of having a ‘civilian’ narrate the help videos. I say ‘civilian’ because I mean that a friend or relative was chosen to do this job instead of a professional – probably to save money.

Many people in the software industry tend to do this. They will work for years on a software package, and then use their auntie to narrate their publicity videos, to save a few bucks. They tend to think that artists (voiceover professionals) are not worth the money. “Why would I spend a thousand bucks on some DJ when my own brother can do the same thing for nothing?”

Well, anyone in marketing and promotions will tell you that paying the thousand bucks is worth it, because it pays for itself many times over.

Actually, if I went to a good marketing and promotions company with Xara, and asked them for an appraisal, I think they would give me a list of problems that looked something like this:

1) The name is not very well chosen. ‘Lion Graphics or ‘Sky Studio' (or any number of other names) would have been more effective and more easily remembered than ‘Xara’.

2) The help videos are narrated by a person who is obviously just a friend of the owner. Voice wise, she is just an ordinary person with an English accent. It would probably be wise to use a professional voice person with an American accent. Sure you have to pay them a fee, but good art is expensive, and brings in the business.

3) Advertising. Xara needs to advertise more. We need to see it out there.

4) Artwork samples. Xara needs to display good quality artwork, instead of the ‘paint by numbers’ examples they often show off.

To explain number 4 a little more, before somebody blows a fuse, I will say that I did a Fine Art course for three years, and one of the first things the lecturers had to drum out of us was the habit of copying pretty objects and thinking this was art. Many Xara samples are just that. A guy obtains a photo of a beautiful car, watch, or some other machine, or face, and then recreates it in Xara, photo realistically. We’re supposed to ooh and ahh, but real art critics don’t. They just think it is so much kitsch.

When software designers are in charge of the process of choosing what art to display, they will probably pick the photo-realistic watch as opposed to truly imaginative and creative, original art.

My advice to Xara:

Hire a good marketing director; someone who really understands art. Let this person be in charge of promotions, and let him or her choose samples, voiceover people, and so on. This would recharge Xara and make it into the giant it deserves to be, not only alongside Corel and Illustrator, but way above them.

Maybe it could be renamed also. Hey – I’ll give you a suggestion for a new name, free.

Zara.

There. At least people will pronounce it correctly.

As Gary might say, this of course, is just my opinion.

Relax - take a deep breath. Constructive criticism is good for you.
    Last edited by Allen James; 09 February 2009 at 01:10 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Marketing Xara

All very good points Allen. They have been discussed many times on the forums. When Magix and Xara merged or Xara was acquired we had hoped the marketing would be improved. From my perspective I have not seen any improvement. Although living out in a rural community I do not see much advertising of any type, by personal preference.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks Bill. I was expecting to be shunned, so your response was a pleasant surprise. Also, I’m intrigued by your location. I’m on the Gold Coast, Australia, but that’s not nearly as impressive as Red Boiling Springs Tennessee! It sounds like a great place. I’ll have to put it on my list of places to visit in the years to come.

In case Charles Moire is annoyed by my post, I should add that with all the brilliant work he has done, nobody could expect him to be a marketing genius as well. So I’m sympathetic, but I still think he needs to address this issue.

Otherwise they’ll still be saying, “You’re a Photoshop genius!” when us Xara users are 105 years old.
    IP

Hi Allen, don't beat about the bush, why not tell it like it is! Seriously, you have raised many good points, and argued them well. I'd go along with most of what you say, especially advertising. Not much of a presence out there, unless I'm looking in all the wrong places.
    The only thing I'd take issue with is the matter of the charming woman who does the video voiceovers. The voice is clear, easy on the ear and the pronunciation is very good. Best of all, in my opinion is the accent - it is English, same as the product. Why try to make out that Xara is American?
    Anyway, I wish you success with your aim - well before your demise.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Heh heh. You make some good points Bob. Wow – you’re in Spain. The Xara community is everywhere, which is great.

You’re quite right - the narrator does sound charming. My mother is English, so I always liked that accent. I guess what made me harder in regard to this subject were many years of finding out the hard way what sells and what doesn’t, and it isn’t rosy. You probably know.

You do the nice thing and nobody is interested. Then you try something more clichéd and suddenly they’re all biting. It’s like going to a rock concert and trying to sell alfalfa sandwiches. Nobody wants one. When you sell KFC they line up forever. The alfalfa sandwich is the better choice, and is very nice, but sadly, not popular. Heck, if I could change people so that they enjoyed listening to my mother, then I’d use her narration on every video. In the real world though, they prefer an Angelina Jolie sound-alike.

As for America, well Xara needs to break into the US like the Beatles did. The rest of the world will follow.

Just my two bits.
    IP

still persisting with the marketing eh?

I feel I should point out you are spelling Charles Moir wrong....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    still persisting with the marketing eh?
    It’s the key to getting Xara known.

I feel I should point out you are spelling Charles Moir wrong....
    Apologies to Mr. Moir. I copied that from Sledger’s post.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36302

[Hate to dob you in Sledge, but better you than me ]
    IP

Im just qurious to see your works.....

You know.... criticism is nothing without good works... allother is just bla bla bla bla....

Sorry, its just my opinion
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com
    IP

One of the biggest problems a relatively small company such as Xara Group Ltd. has is do you spend your limited budget on R&D or on marketing?

The purchase of Xara by Magix has helped provide capital to do both.

But then again, you are competing in a market that is dominated by two giant corporations, Corel and Adobe, who have huge marketing departments and incredible budgets and almost all of the market share. Illustrator rules the Mac platform and much of the Windows platform as well with Corel having the upper hand on the Windows platform. CorelDRAW is a much better product than Illustrator but they have never been able to overcome the caché that Illustrator has. They spent millions trying to get some share of market on the Mac platform and finally pulled out of the Mac platform altogether. It is a daunting task.

The only way Xara could compete on this level would be to be acquired by one of these giants or some other software giant such as Microsoft. I don't think that this is what Xara wants, and I suspect over the years they have had such overtures. But we saw what happened when Corel marketed Xara.

Now maybe if we all each chip in a few hundred thousand dollars (US), and raise an advertising budget of say $5-10 million, we could have one of the really creative ad agencies (who all use Macs), do a campaign to put Xara on the map. Who wants to throw in the first million?
    IP

Well said Gary, and I agree wholeheartedly. It would cost a lot of money. I guess this depends on what the budget is. Nonetheless, some stuff can be done straight away on a small budget. For instance - paying a professional voice artist $5000.00 to do all the help video audios. Placing some cheap ads here and there in various newspapers or TV stations. Say a budget of $50,000. I could pay that myself, if this was my company.

Also, there is always the publicity you can glean from unusually created events. For instance, you get a guy to run through the streets of New York in his underpants, with a banner that reads ‘xara.com’. Pay him $400.

Just one idea off the top of my head.

I have xillions of others.
    IP