Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: trying to make 3d template for rc buggy

Alternatively you can just take a photo from above and design the car based on this view. Do this in a vector program to get your defined lines. Then get them cut at a sign shop on Cast Vinyl. This is used in car wraps and is conformable with heat. Suspend the vinyl over the plastic and heat with a hair dryer. Place the vinyl down onto the car starting from the centre of the roof and work your way down by using a hard edged item such as a Credit Card with a little bit of tissue to create a soft/hard edge.

Once down, you can use it as a mask for when you paint over the top.

I wouldn't use actual Mask vinyl for the job as this requires you to use vinyl with much better conformability.

Create Top, Rear, Front and Side reference shots for your painting reference.

Using the masking technique will allow you to have shapes form around curves accurately.

Ensure that you don't burn the vinyl. Cast can stretch about 200mm over 1m. So it will easily conform to the plastic. Keep in mind that the vinyl will adhere (full contact) after 48hrs. So remove it as early as you can.
    Illustrator doesn't control me....I control the beast within

Default Re: trying to make 3d template for rc buggy

Hi,
    Try googling for "UV Mapper" it is a standalone UV mapper. and it used to be free don't know about now tho'
    Jim